OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help Me Pick a New T-Gun!

Started by BrowningGuy88, March 05, 2012, 10:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which One? Read Description Below.

Remington 11-87 20 gauge with a 26" barrel
16 (47.1%)
Winchester SX3 12 Gauge Universal Hunter with a 26" barrel
18 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: May 04, 2012, 11:07:04 AM

BrowningGuy88

Guys I am posting this here too. It is already on the 20 Gauge Board. Just wanting as many opinions as possible!

I am going to buy a new turkey gun after the end of our season. I am going to run my little 870 20 gauge with Hevi 6's this season and have a killing zone to 35 yards with a 5 yard cushion to get me to 40 on a misjudgement. I will have a budget of about $1200 for this project. If you will, look at the options below and then cast me a vote!

Option 1
Remington 11-87 Full Camo
20 Gauge
26 Inch Barrel
Fast Fire III
SumToy choke
TSS 9's (additional cost)

Total: $900

Option 2
Winchester SX3 Universal Hunter
12 Gauge 3.5" Magnum
26 Inch Barrel
Truglo or Williams Fire Sights
SumToy choke
Nitro Ray 3.5-2.25-7 (additional cost)

Total: $1175

I would use the extra money from the 11-87 to get set up with  TSS shot and all the reloading supplies. I have really been wanting the Universal Hunter SX3 and join the 300 club with Nitro's or H13 7's, but after looking at the cost of getting setup it looks like I can set up the 11-87 20 for TSS and join the 300 club (if I choose) and still have budget for optics. I am starting to lean hard towards the 11-87 for that reason.

If you had a $1200 budget and the two options above, what would you choose?

Thanks
Daman

joffutt1

How much are you getting the 1187 for?

BrowningGuy88

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: el diablo on March 05, 2012, 10:28:36 AM
I really really like the SX3.  You can get close in price with the TSS loads to what nitros are.  You should be able to get patterns similar to mine that I shot with my Maxus.   They are posted in the patterning section.  It has a wide killing pattern and I feel comfortable with shooting the factory bead with it.  If you go that route with the SX3 you can still use it for whatever other kinds of shotgunning you do.  My Maxus is my duck, dove, crow, goose, and turkey gun.
That being said, if this is turkey only.  I would get the 1187 20ga.  I would deck it out with optics, RSF choke, and shoot Hal's 1 5/8oz TSS 9's.  No real reason to shoot the 12 gauge in a turkey only gun with TSS. IMO

It will be a dedicated turkey rig.

redleg06

The 1187 and TSS are going to be a mean combination....

paladin

I think you are going about it wrong.
You are comparing too many things.
I think burris is better than fiber optic, tss better than heavy and 12 3.5'' better than 20 unless you love the light weight.
All you have seem to selected is semi auto. I have two 1100 and have never shot a winchester so I will avoid that subject.
You have also selected 26" barrel. Most of mine are 18" to 24'' and I prefer the 18".

"have gun-will travel"

BrowningGuy88

goblr77

teke

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

tyelper

grousec

1esso

cannonball