turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

just getting started...

Started by Squall_409, March 04, 2012, 10:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squall_409

Hello there everyone. So I'm extremely interested in getting into turkey hunting. I have never been hunting before but this seems to be the way that I personally want to go. So I just had a few questions for everyone on what I should be looking in to.

First off I am in Utah. So I wanted to know if there are many turkey hunters here in Utah? The next main question was gun to get. I work at a gun store and we have a Baikal 12/.223 at the store and I hear it is a good gun for turkey hunting. I can get a discount on it so I wanted to know if that is a good gun to use?

Thank you for reading this post.
You don't need a reason to help others.

cannonball

First off :welcomeOG:

If I was buying a turkey gun it would be a Remington 870 SM or a Mossberg 835.

Squall_409

Why would you recommend those in particular? I'm just curious.

redarrow

THe 12/223 may not be legal in some states. If you are restricted to hunting with shotgun only,the gun would be illegal because you are in possession of a rifle.It would be illegal here in Michigan. Buy yourseld a dedicated turkey gun. Remington,Mossberg,Benelli are all top notch shotguns that will serve you well for many years. :welcomeOG:

cannonball

Quote from: Squall_409 on March 04, 2012, 11:02:36 PM
Why would you recommend those in particular? I'm just curious.

They are both well built firearms. They are a great value for what you get. You won't have any trouble finding accessories like choke tubes, sights, aftermarket stocks, ect. They are two of the best patterning shotguns available. I would say these are the two most popular shotguns used for turkey hunting for the reasons listed above

Squall_409

I'll look into the laws here in Utah and make sure for sure what is legal to use and isn't. I know we do carry all those other brands as well.

Squall_409

Turkeys may be taken only with a bow and broadhead arrows, or a shotgun no larger than 10 gauge and no smaller than 20 gauge, firing shot that ranges in size from BB through no. 8

This is out of the most recent handbook for Utah. So if I am understanding no rifle is allowed right?

redarrow

Thats correct. You may not have any rifle ammo with you ,but you would still be in possession of a rifle.  The reason i caution this is I once saw a young man receive a ticket and have his gun confiscated while  deer hunting in Southern Mi. which is shotgun only. He was using a 20 gauge Savage with a ,22 barrel on top. He said he didnt have any .22 ammo but he was in possession of a rifle.

Squall_409

Alright so that kinda rules out that gun I wanted. So a Remington is a good option to go with? I know we have an 870 at my shop but I'm not sure what style it is. I work tomorrow so I can look at all the shotguns we have in stock and I can post what we have and if you guys are willing, you could give me your opinions.

Brent

For a basic gun to get started out with, it's gonna be hard to beat an 870.  They are cheap and dependable and versatile and easy to find turkey chokes and any other accessories for.  If you ever decided you didn't much like turkey hunting you could always sell it pretty easy too.

longbeardlife.com

schuylkillspur

Run run fast  :emoticon-cartoon-012:and dont look back it will eat up your life. Just kiddin (I think) enjoy it is a great sport.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

redleg06

Remington 870 (i'd get a 12 gauge that can handle 3 1/2" shells so you can shoot them if you want to), a Mossberg 835 or a Benelli Nova would be the guns I'd look at first. They are all guns I've personally owned or hunted with and will be MORE than adequate.

It really is hard to beat an 870 though because of the quality of the gun and the fact that they are so popular makes getting parts for them much easier. 

You coul go over to the Guns section of this forum and get some great advice on all this stuff.  :welcomeOG:

kamski1151

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

Squall_409

So I was on a local classified site and I found a Remington 870 Super Mag for $350. Should I be jumping all over that?