turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hale Fire gobble call review

Started by cannonball, March 04, 2012, 09:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

I got this in the mail on Saturday from Wing Supply. I have been trying to master it, but can't get it to sound anything like a gobble. I have however perfected the death cry of a wounded wampus cat, at least that's what my wife said it sounded like. I am going to keep messing with it and see if I get any better. I was going to post up a video review, but the thought of coffee, soda, milk and other liquids getting spewed on computer monitors worldwide made me change my mind. If you already have the Haint and have given up on it, I wouldn't reccommend getting this for a replacement. I plan on taking it to Georgia next month to see if my good buddy Del A.K.A savduck can blow it. Del can make anything sound like a turkey, even a blade of grass. If Del can't make this call gobble, I intend to send a load of Hevi 7's downrange at it and leave the pieces somewhere in the Georgia swamp. Here's a picture of the cause of my misery...

TauntoHawk

I've only played with mine for about 5min but it doesn't sound any better than what youre describing.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chris Downs

Just saw a commercial for it on Outdoor Channel.  Don't know what your's sounds like in person, but on tv it sounds like a sick jake.

Ctomp1974

You are only the 2nd person I have ever heard say "Wampus cat". My dad always used that instead of "boogeyman", etc.. Too funny. Thanks for the review.

Clint

Crutch

My sound from it equals how a wampus cat smell.  (skunk).
I suspect a proficent duck caller could get it sounding right in short notice.
It is a difficult call IMO to master or even get to a usuable note. But at the NWTF convention, it was turning a lot of heads.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

savduck

Heck Eddie I like both options for that thing.

We have Whompus cats down here to. Maybe you can guide us when down here.
Georgia Boy

TauntoHawk

today was the first day I was able to break it out and actually seriously try running it..

not perfect but was getting decent gobbles out of it in a few minutes. I think birds would answer it pretty well, sounds more of a jake than full mature bird but working on it
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

merocustomcalls

I bought one of those in Nashville.  I was looking for something to gobble with that I can hang around my neck.  I suck at playing tube calls and I can't play this much better.  I suppose I should keep on practicing but in the end I think I'll end up gobbling with a box call. 

Jacobson

I have the same problem with this call, it is allot harder to run then one would think. When I first pick it up sometimes I can get the first gobble to sound decent. I will say that it takes more time than I have spent on it. I sure am not good enough to hunt with it yet. Keep this in mind, for the cost of this call the only other thing a hunter needs, is to practice. The call when run right sounds incredible. So maybe by next season I will be ready, Good Luck.

cannonball

If someone figures this thing out, let me know how to play it. I'm still struggling with it.

WyoHunter

Mine's coming from Midwest this week. Harold Knight sure can play it. Looks like I'll be spending some time learning it from the replies here. Probably like learning a diaphragm call - once you get it you've got it!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

VPHC

Not trying to change the subject, but has anyone tried both the Hale Fire and the Haint?  Are they pretty much the same call?  The Hale Fire is alot cheaper and easier to find.

bgbuck153

Harold sure can gobble on it but what's up with his yelping on it ? I probly couldn't sound any better yelping on but  THEN AGAIN I'm not trying to sell it on national tv ! They should stick with the gobble !

Headhunter270

The yelp is a jake yelp.Ever heard one in the woods they sound pretty bad to.I have the haint and from what I can tell you blow the two call completely different .

TauntoHawk

its not really a yelp it is a jake kalk (sp) and it sounds pretty much just like it. they do it after a gobbler gobbles or they attempt to gobble themselves. I've only heard it when the birds are on the limb in the morning but do it alot when theres a lot of birds all roosted together.

I plan on using that as much as gobbling to make a gobbler thing a subordinate jake is roosted with a hen near by and is easy pickings to steal away.

Im working on making the gobble sound consistent, id like to try the flextone one too.

Quote from: bgbuck153 on March 11, 2012, 10:07:44 AM
Harold sure can gobble on it but what's up with his yelping on it ? I probly couldn't sound any better yelping on but  THEN AGAIN I'm not trying to sell it on national tv ! They should stick with the gobble !