turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Advice?

Started by guesswho, March 03, 2012, 07:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

Ya gotta make it sound like, "Easy big boy, you're killin' me!"...

WildTigerTrout

Three rules, sit still, sit still, sit still. Or one rule, don't move! ;)
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

NCDEADEYE

without a doubt the best advice i got was no matter how good you can call, you can only call them where they want to go.... :z-winnersmiley:

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: redarrow on March 03, 2012, 07:11:30 PM
Quote from: guesswho on March 03, 2012, 07:09:01 PM
You talking to me or was that the advice you received :TooFunny:
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: It didn;t help me a dang bit.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

That was funny Stuff!  :TooFunny: ..
Advice...Be patient and don't over call .
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

FttFttVroom!

Sit down, shut up, and be still......Dad to me on our first hunt :D

BOFF

Cadence, cadence, cadence.

And if someone ask you if you heard/seen anything, you reply, "I ain't heard/seen nothing!!"

God Bless,
David B.

Brent

"Don't go hunt turkeys......go to the woods and make turkeys hunt you"     My pal Twinters told me that one a few years ago and I've thought about it a bunch of times since then.

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on March 03, 2012, 08:19:30 PM
Quote from: bird on March 03, 2012, 07:35:38 PM
Dude you need a girlfriend.
My Wife said I could have one if she would pay half my bills and let me stay at her place half the time.  The only ones I can find that will agree to that are kind of homely looking.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

JVA54

Quote from: chatterbox on March 04, 2012, 05:45:15 AM
Quote from: guesswho on March 03, 2012, 08:19:30 PM
Quote from: bird on March 03, 2012, 07:35:38 PM
Dude you need a girlfriend.
My Wife said I could have one if she would pay half my bills and let me stay at her place half the time.  The only ones I can find that will agree to that are kind of homely looking.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Shotgun

Best advise...My paw paw said 2 things I will never forget when he was teaching me how to turkey hunt 23 yrs ago.

1) Learn something every time you go to the woods and apply it next time you go.
2) Damn't boy shut and be still

redleg06

I know you're probably overloaded with suggestions at this point anyway and are swimming in all this info ;) but I'll give a serious answer....

Tip #1 - When you set up be where the turkey want to be or, at the very least, can get to relatively easily... It'll make calling them easier.

It seems pretty simple but I think sometimes we just hear one gobble, move in to a set distance we read from experts (like myself :-*) on Oldgobbler.com and start calling without thinking about the terrain etc. I'd rather be 175yds away in a spot he wants to go to than 60yds away in a spot he cant get to easily or has no intrest in.

I killed a public land bird on a piece of property just like this last year. 1st morning I had him coming in and he hit a wall of briars about 50yds from me just over a ridge top cause I didnt realize it was there (first day hunting on this particular area). Next day, I had a better idea of what was going on and had to set up a little farther away than what I would have liked but it was a pretty straight shot from the bird to me. He closed the distance willingly and I killed him.

guesswho

Quote from: redleg06 on March 04, 2012, 11:35:35 AMI'd rather be 175yds away in a spot he wants to go to than 60yds away in a spot he cant get to easily or has no intrest in.
I can't argue with that logic.

Growing up my Dad was always full of wisdom, at least thats what he calls it.  He told me something one time that applies to turkey hunting and life in general that I always remember.  He said "Son you have two eyes, two ears and one mouth.  That tells me you should look and listen twice as much as you call or talk" 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mossy835

Seriously I was told don't do it you will be sorry!!
:TooFunny:

Basser69

Never to start....Should have listened

paboxcall

A turkey killing machine once told me turkeys don't wear wrist watches.

:turkey:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot