OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

we shot the Fed. HW today (picture added)

Started by chipper, March 03, 2012, 12:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipper

We went and shot the Fedral HW #7 out of my sons 20 this morning with 3 different chokes, a .560 kicks, a RSF, and a .550 SSX, 1st shot with SSX yielded 145 but was High on poa and poi. Second shot was with RSF and it Yielded 140 we then bore snaked the barrel 3 times and went with the Kicks it only went 103 but was spotty, I then bore snaked 3 more times and went back to the SSX and got 181, it was about 3 inches high of point of aim, I think Dylan pulled the first shot high and a lot of his pattern was'nt on paper but the second one was spot on with a hold on the wattles, it was the best pattern he has ever shot, pictures later.http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa457/chipperntabby/  the date nis wrong these were shot 3-3-12http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa457/chipperntabby/chips001.jpg[/img]

darron

I sure hope mine gets 180's when I shoot it here i the next week or two. That's an awesome patterns. Even the 140's not bad.

savduck

Chipper what lot number were those 7s. I got some more from Midway and a SSX to try. Cleaned the barrel in mine today really good. Waiting on these storms to get out of here so I can go shoot. Thats a great pattern.
Georgia Boy

chipper

That was a deep cleaned and highly polished 20" remington youth model with Knoxx stock and Tru-Glo SSX.

chipper

Waddle Whacker

Very nice! My SSX should be here Monday for the same gun shooting the same shells, and I'll  be keeping my fingers crossed for the same results. I think you've got a winner there.

savduck

Quote from: chipper on March 03, 2012, 02:09:42 PM
Lot #57vz748

Got these a few weeks ago
Im shooting Lot # 37UT458.....from Dunns.....got 103 in the 40 with these

Just got these in this week
Lot #37VT455 from Midway

Hevi 7s............Lot 100991

Chipper where did yours come from

Georgia Boy

chipper

Local store here in town, he's out now.

goblr77

If I get a chance I'm gonna run some HW 7's through my SSX next week and see what they do. Got a new 26" barrel to try. I've been shooting a 21" but would prefer the velocity edge of the 26". I just hope it shoots to POA. I have a RSF and Sumtoy .562 that I used in my 21" and picked up a Jellyhead a couple weeks ago. I'm trying them all. I'm looking for something in the 150 ish range in 10" with an even 20" pattern. If that SSX happens to shoot 170 I'm going with something more open. That will look real good on paper but I don't like to miss birds.

pdqt

I don't know how much velocity increase you will get with the longer barrel. A #7 hw at 1200 fps has 2.2 ft. lb. eneg. and 2.3" gel pen. at 40 yds.

At 1300 fps has 2.4 ft. lb. eneg. and 2.44" gel pen. at 40 yds.

At 40 yds I don't think a turkey will be able to tell the diff.   :OGturkeyhead:

chipper

We shot 1 load at 25 yards at a 42"x30" piece of masonit that I just stuck a piece of tape on and told dylan to try to hit it, I thought it would be just a single hole in the target but was surprised when he shot a pattern about the size of a cantalope, every pellet except 4 or 5 flyers were in it and he hit the tape.

Waddle Whacker

Quote from: goblr77 on March 03, 2012, 10:33:02 PM
If I get a chance I'm gonna run some HW 7's through my SSX next week and see what they do. Got a new 26" barrel to try. I've been shooting a 21" but would prefer the velocity edge of the 26". I just hope it shoots to POA. I have a RSF and Sumtoy .562 that I used in my 21" and picked up a Jellyhead a couple weeks ago. I'm trying them all. I'm looking for something in the 150 ish range in 10" with an even 20" pattern. If that SSX happens to shoot 170 I'm going with something more open. That will look real good on paper but I don't like to miss birds.
If you end up with higher numbers than you care for, give the TightWad a try. I wasn't expecting too much out of it, but it put me at 154 with HW 7's out of a 21" barrel and it won't hurt the pocket book too bad. I know every guns different, but it'd be worth a try, worked for me.

SC_WILDMAN

I am getting 170's in my 1187 with the SSX and the Fed hevi #7's with an unpolished barrel and 150's with the hevi 13 7's.  In the process of getting gun drilled and tapped so i can use a red dot on it. Eyes not what they used to be.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

chipper