News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The World's Largest Standing Army?

Started by Richard, February 22, 2011, 06:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

strut asked me to send this below article :thanks:

Are American hunters the world's largest standing army?

I received the below news article from a friend:

Hunters --- Interesting

The world's largest army?   America's hunters..

Strength of the 2nd Amendment..

I don't spend my fall weekends tramping around the woods in pursuit of
a buck, any more, but a lot of my friends and neighbors do.
This blogger adds up all the hunters in just a handful of states, and
comes to a striking conclusion:

The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without
someone getting killed. That's great. There were over 600,000 hunters.
Allow me to restate that number. Over the last two months, the eighth
largest army in the world - more men under arms than Iran; more than
France and Germany combined - deployed to the woods of a single
American state to help keep the deer menace at bay.
But that pales in comparison to the 750,000 who are in the woods of
Pennsylvania this week. Michigan's 700,000 hunters have now returned
home. Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia, and it is
literally the case that the hunters of those four states alone would
comprise the largest army in the world.
His point? America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that
kind of home-grown firepower.
Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of
national security.
But is any of this true?  Well, I did a little more research into the number of hunters in the U.S, and here's what I found:
The NWTF press release states that "[m]any people believe that reporting there are 13 million hunters in this country is at least misleading and, at worst, a gross underestimation of their actual numbers." "That number only represents how many people over the age of 16 hunted during a one year period.... It does not include hunters under the age of 16, nor does it take into account those people who consider themselves hunters but for whatever reason, didn't hunt in 2001."

The release quotes Mark Damian Duda, Executive Director of Responsive Management, that "according to our research, about 28 million Americans consider themselves hunters, even though they don't hunt every year and some haven't gone for several years." (Emphasis ours.)

The NWTF press release also quotes Rob Southwick, president of Southwick Associates that "[t]he National Survey shows there are 43.7 million people in the United States who have hunted in any previous year. That number is three times more than the number of people reported as having hunted in 2001. That's significant." The NWTF release adds that researchers have "found that many people subscribe to the idea that once a hunter, always a hunter."

Wow.  No wonder we've never been attacked on our own soil by armed troops.
As the above report says, " Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security."

TnTurk

WOW, never thought of it that way. That's good to know.  :icon_thumright:

SinGin

The 2nd amendment is probably the reason the Red Army never invaded us through Cuba.

knightrider

they better be getting ready to stand its coming :z-guntootsmiley:

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

turkey slayer

savduck

Dude that is sweet but also funny. Yall will laugh at me , because I have had discussions about this with my wife and neighbors. I have a plan for defense if my block is ever invaded.

Snipers with the deer rifles in the attic out of the gable vents and blockers at the first floor doors and windows with the shotguns. Women and children huddled on the second floor loading weapons and passing them up or down. Im a builder so those areas would be properly fortified for defence....Lowes is 3 minutes away.

And if that fails and we retreat we are headed to my friends, a penisula owned by all family.....everyone hunts and owns tractors. About 500 acres, 75 people. One road in and out. Surrounded by water on three sides. They have their owns means of providing food and water. Make our stand at the road entrance that is blocked with equipment and retreat to the water if over run.

Its sad that we even have to think about these things....
Georgia Boy

northms

Sav I know where me and all my guns are coming when China attacks.  :z-guntootsmiley:

savduck

Quote from: northms on February 22, 2011, 08:31:52 PM
Sav I know where me and all my guns are coming when China attacks.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Come On.
Georgia Boy

jakesdad

Sad part is they probably will take us over someday........................by buying us out a piece at a time without any bloodshed.Id say they would prefer it that way because by the time we realize its happened,it'll be too late(if its not already in some cases)

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Crutch

Wasn't it the Japanese emporer that said he wouldn't think of invading America because there was a gun behind every bush.  Sadly, the US will not be worth invading. The enemy doesn't have enough manpower to occupy this much land mass. The US dollar will be of no value so there would be no economic reason to go thru the hail of gunfire to get something of so little value.  I hope I don't sound anti American because we have the greatest peice of dirt on this planet. Sadly, I have already told my buddy when it all goes to pot, he can find me near the pennywinkle spring (a location on the family farm). I didn't go buy hundreds of rounds  of 9 mm like a lot have but I do have a few 22 rounds. They aren't for a foriegn enemy either, our danger will come from within (inner city Thug Turkeys).

Wonder how many hunters reside in the" Volunteer State", the patron state of shooting stuff.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

FttFttVroom!

When it does go down, I'll be across the street.....that old man is a survivalist to the core.  He's ready for armageddon.  I've learned alot from him.  Ya'll come on down if you need a rally point!

knightrider

Quote from: Crutch on February 22, 2011, 10:06:32 PM
Wasn't it the Japanese emporer that said he wouldn't think of invading America because there was a gun behind every bush.  Sadly, the US will not be worth invading. The enemy doesn't have enough manpower to occupy this much land mass. The US dollar will be of no value so there would be no economic reason to go thru the hail of gunfire to get something of so little value.  I hope I don't sound anti American because we have the greatest peice of dirt on this planet. Sadly, I have already told my buddy when it all goes to pot, he can find me near the pennywinkle spring (a location on the family farm). I didn't go buy hundreds of rounds  of 9 mm like a lot have but I do have a few 22 rounds. They aren't for a foriegn enemy either, our danger will come from within (inner city Thug Turkeys).

Wonder how many hunters reside in the" Volunteer State", the patron state of shooting stuff.
this volunteer has enough to be more than ready, hope i dont have to use it but i will

TANK

I have hunting guns and I have guns for WTSHTF.........What the post first made me think of was Red Dawn with Patrick Swayze. I know thats just a movie and all, but if it ever happened I could hold my own for a little wile before they got me, but they wouldn't have as many as they did when they arrived!  :z-guntootsmiley: :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

nstrut

i saw this on the Ontario hunting lodge(Adrain Hare's web site) i ask richard to send it here though everyone might like to see it..nstrut