OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Well it is official I am Texas bound.

Started by Robert_Lee, March 03, 2012, 08:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert_Lee

gotcha

You should expect everything there to stick,prick or cut you.Expect way more ticks than you have ever seen, the possibility of venemous snakes, and alot of hard gobbling turkeys that love to be called to.Good Luck!

turkey slayer

Reloader

The stickers and thorns are unreal.  Even if you don't see em, they are there buried in sand.  I pick out stickers from my hunting gear for months after TX turkey hunts, but I cant wait to go back every year.  There's nothing like fired up Rios.

The "covering ground" brought up by several replies is very true.  Once they hit the ground they can cover miles quickly.  They tend to hang out for a while when hens are present after first flying out, but sometimes they just flat get out of dodge heading for food or water.  Many places in TX dont have many trees, so they tend to go a long ways to roost.  Although its much more fun to hear them fairly close at daylight, I've seen places in TX where the birds were way off only to be all over an area a few hours after flydown.  I'd scout even if it was the first day of the hunt, you'll find the sign.  If I have to go in blind, I'll go by listening at first light and close the gap, but I like to cover some ground looking for sign if I'm not hearing any.  A bad hunt for a day or two in TX can turn into an amazing hunt in mere minutes once you find the birds.

Good Luck!