OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Well it is official I am Texas bound.

Started by Robert_Lee, March 03, 2012, 08:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert_Lee

My buddy and I have been planning this trip for 3-4 months and two nights ago he backed when it was time to send in the money.  Well I decided I am going by myself and booked it last night.  I can't wait.

I will be outside of San Antonio on April 13th, this is my first out of state hunt what should I expect that time of year in Texas? weather? etc.  Any tips for Texas Rio hunting?

catrancher

Heat!!  Lived in Cibolo, just north of San Antonio, and most likely you will be hunting in warm to downright hot weather.  Texas has seen plenty of rain after a bad drought; you should expect dang near everything to be green.  Also, because of the drought, last year's hatch was extremely weak; don't expect many jakes.

I have only chased Rios and Easterns; I find Rios (especially on private land) to be more vocal.  Which, right or wrong, tends to make me more vocal.

Good luck!

TrackeySauresRex

Yep, it kinda stinks when someone backs out. But you will do good, have a good time and lots of fun. Post them Rios up  :anim_25: I've been wanting to do that for a few years now in Texas. Let us know how you make out.
B-Well
:turkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

longspur

hope everything goes well for you. be safe.  :anim_25:

Tail Feathers

Expect it to be pretty warm by then.  If there's a cool snap you may need a light jacket but it's unlikely.  It looks to be an early spring.  
Rios like to gobble.  You're gonna love that.
They tend to be less wary than easterns.  You'll be hitting it around mid-season so some hens should be out of your way on nests.

Lots of rock, cactus and spiney stuff.  Snake boots help with the cactus as well as snakes.  
Don't be afraid to call to 'em some, they will stand more calling than your average eastern.  And they usually travel in pairs. :icon_thumright:

Good luck!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

El Pavo Grande

I have been 3 years in a row.  It's definitely a fun experience.  We always go the opening week, so it's been cool at night, but usually very warm during the day.  Last year the turkeys were bunched up, an gobbled little after flydown which was not typical of our two previous trips.  Those turkeys tend to travel a lot, so what we heard gobble at daylight was not always the turkeys that travel across the property.  The best piece of advice I could give is that if a gobbler(s) is answering you with interest from a long distance, give him time to come.  They don't mind covering ground and will come fast when they decide to committ.  We spooked a few the first year before realizing to hunt them according to their nature and not what we were used to.  That area had an extreme drought, so not sure what this season will hold in store.

redleg06

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on March 03, 2012, 12:20:00 PM
I have been 3 years in a row.  It's definitely a fun experience.  We always go the opening week, so it's been cool at night, but usually very warm during the day.  Last year the turkeys were bunched up, an gobbled little after flydown which was not typical of our two previous trips.  Those turkeys tend to travel a lot, so what we heard gobble at daylight was not always the turkeys that travel across the property.  The best piece of advice I could give is that if a gobbler(s) is answering you with interest from a long distance, give him time to come.  They don't mind covering ground and will come fast when they decide to committ.  We spooked a few the first year before realizing to hunt them according to their nature and not what we were used to. 

I'm from Tx originally and agree with this statement in particular. I've hunted both easterns and Rios and  Rio's tend to put their walking boots on a little more than easterns. Like he said, if you have one answering you and starts to close ground, they may be there quick so while you might be tempted to close ground on them, be careful not to get out in the open or leave yourself somewhere you can set up good cause there arent a lot of big trees out there and you may be shocked how close the next gobble comes from cause he's moving on you quick and if you get in a spot that you dont have cover to set up, you've hurt yourself with the move more than helped.   

Because they do tend to cover more ground (general rule) than easterns, if they are going away from you for whatever reason, you may have a little less time to try and loop them to get in front of them than you would with an eastern. A lot of times, they are heading for water or food that's a good ways away and can cover ground pretty quick.

The weather could go a lot of different ways at that time but you should be in good shape as far as stage of the breeding season goes.

Good luck!

jjenkins

Gummi Bear

You're gonna love it.  Hunting Rio's in Texas is tremendously exciting, and the area down near San Antonio is beautiful.  Be prepared to take a lot of pictures, and absorb some of the Texas hospitality.  If you can, schedule an extra day or two to take in the sights.

That time of year, mornings will be cool, but daytime will be warm.  Pack some light pants or even some shorts for kicking around at camp, you may want a sweater in the evening.  That time of year is when we get rain as well, so pack a rain jacket just in case.

Bring some sunblock, if it's warm and sunny it can get to you fast.  Never turn down a bottle of water, you dry out pretty quick down here.

If you have snakeboots, pack them.  That is the time of year that they start getting active.  It's already warming up down here (I'm wearing short sleeves today) they may come out of hibernation any time now.  Be aware of where you put your feet or you sit.

:cowboy:

OLE RASPY

Good luck. Me and a buddy is going to san angelo texas next spring 2013

FttFttVroom!

Too bad you'll be going it alone, but no last minute confusion over who shoots which bird at least!  Best of luck to you Sir!

jde

Advice bring some good leather or snake boot plenty of cactus and buzztail's. As said already Rio's are very vocal all day in that part of the area roost will be along the creek bottom in the large oaks. What ranch are you hunting on?

wkyhunter

Congrats!!! Good Luck and have FUNNNNNNNNNNN

oatsj

Lived in the RIO GRANDE VALLEY hunted close to Plesenton north of George west this is south of S.A. Killed my fair share doubled one trip. the Rio will spoil you. :turkey2:

cannonball