turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question about the almighty Morrel Mushroom

Started by handcannon, March 01, 2012, 10:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handcannon

I've got a hunt planned in NW Missouri during the last week of their season. Since I have to stop hunting at 1pm, I figured that a little mushroom hunting could help pass the time. I've never hunted anywhere that has Morrels so I'm just curious what type of areas should I focus on such as creek areas, ridges, bottom land etc. I've been told that they have a pretty good bit in that area and I dont want to pass up the chance to finally get to taste some of them bad boys for the first time.

bird

The best days are when there is some heat after some rain.

shadetree callers

First things first , when you hunt morels you have to wear the right camo because they can be sneaky little buggers , lol . Seriously , I find alot around semi-moist areas like creek bottoms and old pasture edges . Funny thing about the morel is that some years you will find them in the same spots but they tend to show up in different areas all the time . I have alot of success in pine groves that aren't too thick and on slopes around creeks that have brushy areas along the banks . I find alot on slopes and less on flat ground . Some years are bountiful while other years if it's too dry , you might not find any at all . Last year I found over 1000 shrooms ! I will say that finding them can be very addictive and once you find the first one of the day , you will get obsessed with finding more . It is a great interlude in a turkey hunt ! Good luck !

Edge1

Bottom lands where it is always damp seem to produce for me best in Missouri and pay attention to the kind of trees they grow around. I always look for ASH trees in a creek bottom and load up. Also, if you find some, break them off at the stem and tap the spores out of the cap where you pick them and they will continue to pop up there. Happy hunting!

jblackburn

Quote from: Edge1 on March 01, 2012, 11:22:53 PM
Bottom lands where it is always damp seem to produce for me best in Missouri and pay attention to the kind of trees they grow around. I always look for ASH trees in a creek bottom and load up. Also, if you find some, break them off at the stem and tap the spores out of the cap where you pick them and they will continue to pop up there. Happy hunting!

Ash and Elm trees.  Moist areas, especially bottom land.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

drenalinld

Quote from: Edge1 on March 01, 2012, 11:22:53 PM

This. Ash and Elm trees in low areas are the key in AR and MO.

Gooserbat

I find most of mine around sycamore trees especially those that are on somewhat of a hill side and are surrounded by leaf litter aposed to grass.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

K9Doc

Dang!  I know zip zero nadda about mushrooms.  You guys actually hunt for them and eat 'em?
Could someone post up some pics of edible mushrooms?
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: K9Doc on March 02, 2012, 12:46:03 AM
Dang!  I know zip zero nadda about mushrooms.  You guys actually hunt for them and eat 'em?
Could someone post up some pics of edible mushrooms?

yellow morels

gray morels

black morels
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

drenalinld

They are not worth your time and there are no turkeys in the South.

econo

in Va we find them mostly around yellow popular trees
May God bless you all

bgbuck153

Quote from: drenalinld on March 02, 2012, 07:39:54 AM
They are not worth your time and there are no turkeys in the South.
Very true ! Don't eat them but instead mail them to me and I will take a look see . Promise I won't eat them !
:TooFunny:

mnturkey

I have had real good luck with them in burn areas especially when the burn has some older trees around, not just a empty field.
I have found that once you find a few your eyes work better and all of a sudden they pop up all over.
cleaned, sliced and fried in sweet cream butter is best and if you can with a fresh caught trout is even better.
SEMPER FI

ferocious calls

Elms that are shedding dead branches in the bottoms are a good bet. Combine this with red dog,( a by product of mining, which was used for road building back in the day, and you may have a real hot spot for them.
You also can grow your own. :)

bird

Here in Iowa mushroom hunters are the biggest violaters of Tresspassing laws then any group of people around.  I've had so many hunts ruined by mushroom hunters on private ground that it ain't even funny. But when mushrooms fetch $10 to $20 a pound this it was creates all the Tresspassing. I come to hate the little fungal turds.