turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Polishing question? Need answer asap.

Started by Trevor2, March 01, 2012, 07:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

I do not have anything but turkey chokes for my guns. Can I polish with a choke in it? This is  my first time polishing one
Strutstopper

hunttherut

Sand Man

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Trevor2

So polish without a choke in it? (open threads)
Strutstopper

tnturkeykiller

DO NOT polish your barrel without a choke in it. What gun do you have

Trevor2

Quote from: tnturkeykiller on March 01, 2012, 08:20:18 PM
DO NOT polish your barrel without a choke in it. What gun do you have
Remi 870 special purpose
Strutstopper

tnturkeykiller

Go to walmart and buy a choke for it i think they are about ten dollars and polish away

tnturkeykiller

Also make sure your choke is tight so it want unscrew or run your drill in reverse if it unscrews it will damage your threads

Trevor2

Strutstopper

Philippe

Quote from: Trevor2 on March 01, 2012, 08:07:28 PM
So polish without a choke in it? (open threads)

Good god no! Put a modified choke in it and make sure it is tight and then polish away.

paladin

I would buy a cheap modified choke off ebay or gunbroker. but you can do it if you are carefull. measure the rod to avoid pushing it into the choke. Hitting the choke will make the rod flex and mar the barrel. I do not suggest it.
"have gun-will travel"

Trevor2

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said this is my first time so was just checking before I messed something up. Next question. I have a winchester ranger 120 12 ga full choke I was also wanting to polish. Is it ok to polish it, bc its not interchangeable chokes so the modified choke is out of the question so how lol
Strutstopper

Reloader

I'd just stick one of the turkey chokes that you don't use that often.  The tape trick works quite well.  You'll feel the cone if you get in the choke.

I don't recommend folks do this, but I have actually polished a few chokes.  They shot just as good as they always had.  They didn't seem to shoot better, but they definitely did not shoot worse.  I polish a couple because they looked bad inside, but it really did nothing for performance from what I could tell.

As a side note, Rhinos are slicker than spit and sure throw a nice pattern.

Trevor2

Quote from: Reloader on March 01, 2012, 09:24:44 PM
I'd just stick one of the turkey chokes that you don't use that often.  The tape trick works quite well.  You'll feel the cone if you get in the choke.

I don't recommend folks do this, but I have actually polished a few chokes.  They shot just as good as they always had.  They didn't seem to shoot better, but they definitely did not shoot worse.  I polish a couple because they looked bad inside, but it really did nothing for performance from what I could tell.

As a side note, Rhinos are slicker than spit and sure throw a nice pattern.
One step ahead of me lol Thats what I decided to do. The guy I got dads gun off of is a machinist and made three chokes himself for the 870 and they shoot decent but not throwing patterns I like. So were gonna use one of those. Got it marked and taped and dad is gonna work on them tomorrow while Im out scouting and listening.
Strutstopper

Trevor2

So what about polishing a gun without interchangeable chokes?
Strutstopper