OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

VersaMax ?

Started by Thegobblergetter, March 01, 2012, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thegobblergetter

Has anyone come up a suggestion on what choke/chokes to use in the VersaMax?  I plan on using lead.  Thanks, John

forcercon1

John,
I was told the Pure Gold's shoot well in it. I shot My Extra full that came with the gun and Copper Plated 3 1/2 Winchester 4's and it shot really well considering the set-up. With that tube & shell combo I got in the 120-125 range. I think it can do better and I'm waiting on 2 chokes for it. I went with a Kicks & a Rhino for testing purposes.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Thegobblergetter on March 01, 2012, 04:48:59 PM
Has anyone come up a suggestion on what choke/chokes to use in the VersaMax?  I plan on using lead.  Thanks, John

I was able to offer the Pure Gold Versa Max chokes at the NWTF Convention for the first time, both .670 and .660, in ported and non-ported, and they were a big hit there.

I'm getting a lot of feedback from shooters who have been buying them and everyone has been happy with both exit diameters in the ported and non-ported models.

Orders have been pretty strong and most have been word of mouth from one shooter to another.

For your lead shot, I'd go with the .660 in the non-ported model. That model, "The Tempest" was originally designed for Flitecontrol Wad shells but it works very well with other shells too.

Pure Gold makes an excellent product, proven in the field for many years. I can recommend them highly.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Thegobblergetter

Forcercon and Clark, thanks for the responses.  Those Win 3 1/2" 4's, were those the HV ones?  I really like lead 4's because of the energy they have.  If they pattern well, I will use them.  Clark, have you tried any of the Sumtoy chokes?  Just wondering?  Thanks, John

forcercon1

John,
The winchester's I played around with were High Velocity. I think the gun will do better with a more precise tube such as Clark suggested.

The advice Clark has given me and the articles I have read, along with general view of people here "Clark" knows his stuff and most of all a great guy!

I'm sure he will give you great advice.

On a side note, how do you like the Versa Max? Any issues or suggestions? My beautiful bride gave me 1 for Christmas shortly after I purchased an A400 Xtreme. I have been busy and not been able to shoot much.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Thegobblergetter on March 01, 2012, 10:55:24 PM
Forcercon and Clark, thanks for the responses.  Those Win 3 1/2" 4's, were those the HV ones?  I really like lead 4's because of the energy they have.  If they pattern well, I will use them.  Clark, have you tried any of the Sumtoy chokes?  Just wondering?  Thanks, John

Hey John,

You're welcome.

No, I haven't tried any of the Sumtoy chokes at this point.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."