turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

input on ic choke and Remington super mag

Started by imtalkinturkey, March 01, 2012, 11:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtalkinturkey

I have tried several loads in this gun and it is great at 25 yards but I just cant get a good pattern at 35-40. I have been trying several different 3" loads remington and federal. I dont have a picture of the pattern i forgot to take on my question is will it make that big of a difference if I was shooting a  3.5" load I am thinking of getting a box of hevi #7 and trying my luck. I think this is a 26" gun it is 870 supermag with the bottom land camo if anyone else has this gun I would appreciate the input

nyhunter

What kind of numbers are you getting?I would deep clean it and if you can polish the barrel. Shoot at a large 30x30 target each time. I have had great luck in my 870 sm's with the jellyhead .660 and kicks gobblin thunder in .655 in both Pd and heavy . You will most likely get more hits in a 10" circle with 3.5" simply because there's more shot in them.

SumToy

Ok don't take this wrong now.     

What size is the IC choke.
1st have you chyecked POA/POI?
When have you cleaned the barrel? Get any oil out of it
What loads as in 5 or 6?

That gun should shoot with the IC it is a good choke.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

imtalkinturkey

it is a .665 and i thought it should shoot great with that choke also. I have cleaned the barrel several times to make sure it was smooth I have tryed 5 and 6 shot next i will recheck poa and see what i can come up with it is a pretty nice day out today so will shoot it and post some pics next

SumToy

From what I can come up with you are from GA.   What part are you in. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

imtalkinturkey

i am in bartow co. that is about 50 miles north of atlanta

SumToy

Little long for a trip.  If you can figure it out mail the barrel to me with that choke.   Look it over then try choke in another barrel then try new choke in yours to see. 

savduck

Here is a tip......throw that remington lead and federal lead in the trash. Get yourself some winchester HV Number 5s or 6s. They should increase your pattern.

Remington has been some of the worst patterning lead Ive ever shot in any of the turkey guns Ive owned over the years.
Georgia Boy

hunter-b

redleg06

Get some hevi shot Mag Blends, 6's or 7's. You'll see your numbers improve pretty dramatically at 40yds I imagine, provided your POI =POA.

pullit

Quote from: savduck on March 01, 2012, 02:22:55 PM
Here is a tip......throw that remington lead and federal lead in the trash. Get yourself some winchester HV Number 5s or 6s. They should increase your pattern.

Remington has been some of the worst patterning lead Ive ever shot in any of the turkey guns Ive owned over the years.

I agreee execpt I did get some good Fed lead patterns but not in the same ball park as Hevi.

Gobble!

Shoot at a very large piece of paper so you can see your entire pattern. Sounds like it could be a poi issue. I use a Indian Creek in mt 870SM and get great results with the 3.5" 2.25oz Hevi13 #7s. Best pattern so far has been 324 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteHere is a tip......throw that remington lead and federal lead in the trash. Get yourself some winchester HV Number 5s or 6s. They should increase your pattern.

Ditto.

MossRem

Quote from: savduck on March 01, 2012, 02:22:55 PM

I have to..sadly...agree. I have tried and tried to get decent patterns with Remington shotshells but always got better ones with Winchester and Federal.
If you've never tried Winchester HV, you owe it to yourself to try. You'll really like the hitting power and even distribution of pellets. They're easy shotshells to find, too.

wkyhunter

The winchester HV turkey loads consistantly pattern well for me. Doesn't seen to matter too much about the choke/gun combination, they out pattern remington or federal lead.