OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What say you to $8 a gallon gasoline?

Started by lightsoutcalls, March 01, 2012, 11:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray223

Quote from: TeocTom on March 01, 2012, 11:04:49 PM
Unreal. Guys, I really wish that we Americans could come up with an alternative to petroleum for motor vehicles.
This is pure stupid to what we are being charged at the pumps. It is amazing that of all the brilliant minds that we have in America we cannot find another way to run our engines. We went from horse and buggy to steam engine, to the gasoline combustion engine within 100 years of each, and we can't find a way to power our vehicles with anything else. I know that there are many factors to why we cannot immediately cut our dependency on crude, but, I believe the time is now to start seriously pursuing an alternative means.

You honestly thing that there hasn't been a way to do this invented already?? Theres still way to much money for someone to make in the oil buisness for us to see the"real alternative" yet.

hoyt

Quote from: Dray223 on March 02, 2012, 07:54:45 AM
Quote from: TeocTom on March 01, 2012, 11:04:49 PM
Unreal. Guys, I really wish that we Americans could come up with an alternative to petroleum for motor vehicles.
This is pure stupid to what we are being charged at the pumps. It is amazing that of all the brilliant minds that we have in America we cannot find another way to run our engines. We went from horse and buggy to steam engine, to the gasoline combustion engine within 100 years of each, and we can't find a way to power our vehicles with anything else. I know that there are many factors to why we cannot immediately cut our dependency on crude, but, I believe the time is now to start seriously pursuing an alternative means.

You honestly thing that there hasn't been a way to do this invented already?? Theres still way to much money for someone to make in the oil buisness for us to see the"real alternative" yet.

lightsoutcalls

Mr. president has been touting the advantages of fuel derived from algae as an alternative.  Here is an article that shows biodiesel made from algae  would be around $33 a gallon.

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/algae-biodiesel-its-33-a-gallon-5652/

Yeah, mr. president, I don't think that's the solution...

A few years back we were hearing about hydrogen fuel cells, and all of a sudden there is no more talk of it?  Why was I envisioning a Ford Pinto run on hydrogen being rear-ended and resulting in a mushroom cloud?

I'm all for privately owned companies developing alternative fuels... on their own dime.  It shouldn't be put on the taxpayer to help develop a product that the owners of the business may someday get filthy rich off of.  Everyone complains about "big oil" and how they get huge tax breaks...   Take away their tax breaks and see how much you pay for a gallon of gas.  I'm not saying it is right, but those companies are in business to make a profit... just like the company that you work for and the company that I work for.  Their profits and their expenditures are on a much grander scale than the company that I work for, but nonetheless, they are in business to make a profit.  I have mixed feelings about the selling of domestic oil to foreign countries.  I'd love to say the oil companies should consider "patriotism over capital", but in reality... they are in business to make a profit.  They don't need us to be their chearleaders to make a profit, so why would they decrease their profit potential?  It would be a difficult position to be in having a product that people HAVE TO HAVE and being in a position where you can sell more at a lower cost and bring in the same dollar amount because you are selling more product - OR - sell less at a higher price and still make the same dollar amount and have more product left to sell to whomever can pay the price.  Try to put yourself in the same position (mentally).  It would be tough...   Fortunately I don't have to make that kind of decisions.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

stinkpickle

It's a speculator's game.  Surging oil prices, and the accompanying "big oil" company profits, are keeping a lot of folks' retirement accounts from crashing.

Turkey Trot

The value of the dollar has declined almost 25% under Zero's regime due to his outrageous fiscal and monetary policy.  Oil is sold in dollars, and nations are generally the owner of oil resources throughout the world.  Their leaders lose money when the dollar is in decline.

Cut the bull from US fiscal and monetary policy, tighten the purse strings, stop suppressing interest rate, and support the dollar.  When the dollar climbs, oil prices fall.  It's a well established inverse relationship. 

Drilling has created a tremendous domestic supply of NG and prices are the lowest they have been in 10 years or so.  Cheap NG can help the economy in the transport sector and elsewhere, from household use to generating electricity.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Turkey Trot

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

DMP

NG is the way to go but we should have started years ago upgrading the infrastructure to handle that kind of demand.  Right now were years away from having the capability to handle gas stations on every corner selling natural gas.  Not mention the cost of building a NG fueling station. 

rempumpman

We all have opinions on how we could fix this problem but it involves common sense in which this nation definately has a shortage of.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.