turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal Heavyweight 1 1/2 oz #7 or Hevi 13 1 1/4 oz #7

Started by ncturkey, March 01, 2012, 09:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncturkey

What would ya'll use in a Single shot fixed full choke 20 gauge shotgun?                            Federal Heavyweight 1 1/2 oz #7 or Hevi 13 1 1/4 oz #7

dirt road ninja

I bought some hevi 7 to try out of my 11-87 20 with a jellyhead. Getting 115-137 @ 40 with a very nice, even, and forgiving pattern. I was happy with it, so I did not try the Feds. I'm not looking to shoot 40 yards with it, but feel it would kill @ 40 - 45. I also ran a few Magblends thru the same rig and it hated them. The best was 86 or 89 at 40 with a very spacey pattern. I do think from what I've read the Fed's would get you a little more range.

sugarray

Federal all the way.  hit harder, fixed choke is a good for the federals

ncturkey

wmahunter

With the fixed choke the only option you have to get the best pattern is to try the different shells and see which patterns the way you want.  The Federal pellets will carry farther with more energy than the hevi shot but that won't matter if the pattern won't carry farther. 

You will be in luck if the feds pattern well because that is the best factory load available in my opinion.

ncturkey

I will probably have to limit the range to 30-35 yards. This is for my daughters NEF Youth 20 gauge. She really like that shotgun. I plan on upgrading her to a 11-87 20 gauge compact when she gets a little bigger.  

surehuntsalot

with a fixed choke I would have try the Federal FC shells,they usually work pretty good with full,modified,
choke tubes and fixed chokes
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ncturkey

I got me two boxes of the Federal Heavyweight #7 loads on the way.

spurcollector

I have this same gun. It has served my two sons well. They have taken  several turkeys with it. Mine liked the old Remington Hevi #6. With that load 35 yards was no problem and 40 was not out of the question. I have runout of the old Rem hevi and like you I have bought 2 boxes of the Heavyweight #7. The POA/POI was off on mine so I had it drilled and tapped and put a Bushnell red dot on it which works really well.

Philippe

Quote from: ncturkey on March 06, 2012, 08:35:07 PM

Don't forget to send off for the 15 dollar rebate sense ya got two boxes!

spurcollector

Quote from: Philippe on March 07, 2012, 07:50:08 PM

I bought my heavyweight at a gun shop. The had a write out receipt with the store name at the top. Do you think Federal will honor this?

Philippe

Quote from: spurcollector on March 07, 2012, 09:02:43 PM
Quote from: Philippe on March 07, 2012, 07:50:08 PM

I bought my heavyweight at a gun shop. The had a write out receipt with the store name at the top. Do you think Federal will honor this?

They should, i'd call them to see, but i don't see the issue with it if it is the store original receipt.

ssramage

My single shot NEF likes the Feds better, getting 180s-190s depending on the weather