OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Early season calling

Started by sippy cup, March 01, 2012, 08:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sippy cup

I was wondering if anyone  else gos out before season and calls gobblers in just for fun Iove to do it NOT TO KILL NOW :OGturkeyhead:
beware of longdale legend

dirt road ninja

I never try to fool with calls preseason. I'm to worried about calling him in and getting busted. When I scout I just pull up a tree and listen.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

jyoung

I personally do not do it nor do I believe in it. Not even locator calls.  The way I look at it is that season will be here soon enough and I can blast away on any call all I want.  Let them have their time right now.  I do, however, love to go listen and scout around preseason.  Will even go as far as setting up on a gobbling turkey to see where he goes, but NO CALLS.  When you call that bird in and there is no hen there he is getting educated early on and will instinctively learn from that experience.  No turkeys can not reason, however they will adapt using strong survival instincs.  Just my .02...

Jonathan
Jonathan Young

NYGobblergetter

I will begin scouting and putting a few trail cameras on field scan mode out a couple weeks before season and will probably go out the weekend before so see where birds are roosting and look for other sign. I will eb taking my step-daughter out for youth season so that always allows me to get into the grove and see what the birds are up to before I get my chance

WildTigerTrout

I will scout pre-season but I NEVER call. No way!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

pseshooter300

I don't think it is legal in Tn
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

redleg06

I personally don't think you actually "educate" the bird by the act of calling but if you call him in and scare him off then I think you've started pressuring him uneccesarily and alerting him to the fact that more folks are getting in to the woods.

Id be much more interested in learning his patterns WITHOUT interfernce so that you can plan accordingly when the season hits. Just like in duck hunting, if you know where the birds want to be anyway, it's MUCH easier to call them in. If you just love watching turkey that much (I do too) do it at a distance and figure out what he wants to do naturally from day to day so you can know where to be waiting on him when the opener hits.

jyoung

Quote from: jyoung on March 01, 2012, 08:48:38 AMWhen you call that bird in and there is no hen there he is getting educated early on and will instinctively learn from that experience. No turkeys can not reason, however they will adapt using strong survival instincs. Jonathan

No...calling will not necessarily "educate" a bird, they hear it all day every day. But when he is responding and coming to a "so called hen" there is no hen there, and she just disappears all of a sudden, it is not natural and don't be surprised if he is a little more reluctant to return the next time, when it really matters.  :fud:

J
Jonathan Young

savduck

Georgia Boy

TrackeySauresRex

It's my first commandment.... Thou shall not talk to turkeys before the season starts!   ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Crappiepro

I've never done it! I won't do it because of the reasons mentioned above.

RutnNStrutn

I do it BUT ONLY in places I can't hunt. I would never do it in places I hunt at. All that does is educate the birds.

TRKYHTR

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 01, 2012, 01:29:54 PM
I do it BUT ONLY in places I can't hunt. I would never do it in places I hunt at. All that does is educate the birds.

I agree

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck