turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Long Have You Been Turkey Hunting?

Started by Crappiepro, February 29, 2012, 07:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketphoto

Counting the crow season that ended yesterday............ two and a half weeks!  My ten year old got the bug from his buddy and finally wore me down.  We were able to hunt 2 days of crow season and are now trying to learn everything we can about turkeys (they come in next for us).  This site has been a tremendous resource especially the 20ga section. Glad I joined and hopefully we will have something to show you guys next month.

Mike

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

NYGobblergetter

I started when I was 12 in texas and am now 31. So 19 years. I still learn something every time I go out. Rarely are there perfect hunts.

bird

How do you guys remember that far back. Heck I have a hard time trying to remember what I ate for dinner the day before let alone when I first starting turkey hunting. I do remember that you couldn't buy your tags over the counter like you can now but had to apply for you tags back then.

hoyt

I remember a Ga. hunting licence was $2.25  a yr for everything but ducks...they had duck stamps back then too, don't remember how much they were. You could buy a daily pass to hunt or fish Ft. Stewart for $2.50 or a yr pass for $10.00.

They had wild cows roaming around on Ft. Stewart and you could kill them legally if you could ever see one. I saw nothing but their tracks. They are wilder than deer or turkey.

busta biggun

26 years! Believe it or not but back then there weren't a lot of turkeys in Kansas as they were just getting populations started in certain areas. I had to go to Missouri to hunt with my buddy. Now my buddy leaves Missouri and hunts with me.

TRKYHTR

Quote from: bird on March 01, 2012, 08:55:39 AM
How do you guys remember that far back. Heck I have a hard time trying to remember what I ate for dinner the day before let alone when I first starting turkey hunting. I do remember that you couldn't buy your tags over the counter like you can now but had to apply for you tags back then.

You still have to apply for your tags in IA. Are you doing OK Al?   :TooFunny:

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

bird

Quote from: TRKYHTR on March 01, 2012, 10:16:08 AM
Quote from: bird on March 01, 2012, 08:55:39 AM

You still have to apply for your tags in IA. Are you doing OK Al?   :TooFunny:

TRKYHTR

Only non-residents have to apply Joe. I can wait until the day I want to hunt if I want and go buy my tags as a resident of Iowa.   :funnyturkey:

goblr77

Killed my first longbeard 16 years ago. I got a late start because my Dad didn't hunt turkeys. He was serious about deer.

mr meat

I would have to say about 12 years and we didn,t have wild turkeys in Canada till the early 80s and it was about 5 years after that, when they started a season but only in certain areas in which you could only shoot one bearded turkey,Now we are able to take 2 in the spring season but not in the same day and one in the fall and it can be either sex! W e only have turkeys in the province of Ontario not all Canada

Wingbone

Saw my first turkey in the wild 18 yrs ago, and i've been hunting them ever since. I guess you could say that first turkey made an impression on me.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Basin_hunter

Off and On since I was 15 years old, I will be 32 in April. I got serious about turkey hunting in 2007 and haven't missed a spring since. Still learning alot from mistakes that i made and still make.
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

TrackeySauresRex

A long time ago..... in a galaxy far far away (22 years) and #4's was the shot of preference.  :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Eric Gregg

4 years I have been going at it. Love it. Eventhough I am waiting to kil my first gobbler I have enjoyed the learning process. Great stuff :turkey2:

catdaddy

I have been turkey hunting since the early 80"s. I wih I had kept track of the numbers I have killed.