News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need a liitle help: Pistol Grip with a Red Dot Sight

Started by jyoung, February 29, 2012, 09:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jyoung

:help:
Ok guys, I did a search, but came up empty handed.  I recently added a red dot sight to my Mossberg 935 with a pistol grip stock.  Because of the pistol grip, the sight sits a good bit higher than before.  Because of this I cannot rest my cheek on the gun.  I do not want to knock my teeth out or bust my nose because I cannot anchor down on my gun; and I do not want to cause an issue with my POA because my head will be positioned a little different every time I raise my gun instead of having a "locked in" position like I use to have with my cheek resting on the gun.  A cheek pad is the obvious choice, but finding one to fit properly on a pistol grip stock would be the issue.  Suggestions??

Thanks,
Jonathan
Jonathan Young

davisd9

What does you stock look like?  The Bear Tooth Comb is very popular and inexpensive.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jyoung

This is a pic of my gun without my red-dot on it.  I have not taken a picture of it being completely finished.  I love the looks of my gun with the red-dot on it, but I'll have to find some kind of cheek pad to sturdy me up.

Jonathan
Jonathan Young

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

reynolds243

i had the same issue on my stoeger when i added a red dot and got a beartooth comb riser and it works just fine. I am trying to build my own using a gel pad instead but have not figured out how to get it on the stock yet.

davisd9

Not sure the Beartooth would work with that stock.  The Beartooth wraps around the "traditional" stock and he does not have the extra girth there to do it.  Beartooth is an excellent choice.

tcook7

I have the same stock and just ordered the accu-riser cheek pad yesterday that davisd9 posted, I can let you know when it gets here.

mightyjoeyoung

I've used the accu riser on a few firearms. They work very well and the rubber insert really helps take out some sting from cheek slap.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

reynolds243

Quote from: davisd9 on February 29, 2012, 09:59:19 AM
Not sure the Beartooth would work with that stock.  The Beartooth wraps around the "traditional" stock and he does not have the extra girth there to do it.  Beartooth is an excellent choice.

yeah i didnt see the pic when i said the beartooth model. I think it COULD work but how the beartooth is design may leave a very large gap where the but hits the receiver and look odd.

jyoung

Quote from: davisd9 on February 29, 2012, 09:51:16 AM
http://www.accu-riser.com/products/Accu%252dRiser-Ambedextrious-Comb-Raiser-Camo-Finish.html

Looks like this should work for that stock.

This does look like it could possibly work, but after looking at the picture on the link a little closer and reading this: "Todays Tactical/Police/Varmint rifle stocks found on several manufacturers rifles are much broader across the comb and this cheek pad will not fit." I'm still a little concerned because my stock is more broad across the top as compared to a traditional style stock so tcook7, please let me know ASAP if this riser works well.  I'm about to run out of time!! LOL!  Season opens on March 15th for me.  ;D  I did not expect to run into this problem.  

Thanks,
Jonathan
Jonathan Young

st8tman

Do you folks feel like the accu-riser would work on a SBEII steady grip? I am leaning toward an Eotech XPS2 and know it will sit considerably higher than some of the other popular sights, thus possibly creating the same scenario as depicted above. Thanks for your time.

davisd9

Quote from: st8tman on February 29, 2012, 08:18:23 PM
Do you folks feel like the accu-riser would work on a SBEII steady grip

I would think so, but with that stock you may be able to get by with the beartooth comb raising kit.  Not really familar with that stock other than the look so hopefully others will chime in. Good Luck!

tcook7

Bad news, the accu-riser will not fit the Choate pistol grip stocks

jyoung

Yea, I was afraid of that after reading the info below the picture on the link.  Our stocks are wider across the top.  I have been paying close attention when I raise my gun to find a anchor spot to use every time.  It's just more on my chin than my cheek!  I sure hope I don't knock my teeth out!! Have you shot yours with the setup you have? I'll be sighting mine in this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks,
Jonathan

This is my completed setup... does anybody else have anymore suggestions for a riser?

Jonathan Young