turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which GPS do you use and why?

Started by sugarray, February 22, 2011, 01:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

So which do you use and why.  I am thinking of getting a Garmin Oregon touch screen, but have heard guys worry about dropping and breaking the screen then you are screwed.  Any experience, concerns, complaints, raves?

knightrider

never used one just use the built in one

hookedspur

I use cthe garmin rhino and I like it ok.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Jbird22

I do. I use a Lowrance i-Finder Hunt C and wouldn't leave home without it. It has kept me from getting lost several times. It also has helped me find a shortcut or two when heading toward a turkey. I hunt mostly out of a boat on a river that makes some pretty wicked bends so it's definitely handy. I do carry a compass as a backup though.

TrackeySauresRex

I have an e-trec. Its more or less a go to. Simple to use,cost around 90 bucks I think.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Muskie03

Really depends on how much you want to spend. I recommend the Garmin GPSMAP 62 series. The touch screens I don't trust, I've used the Oregon 550t. It is missing some of the key features I like on my 60 CSX.  One big thing for me because I guide in the mountains is that if you crack a touch screen it's useless. There is alot more screen protection in the new 62 series.  This statement pretty much sums it up--Touch screens are cosmetic. When I was selling GPS's at Cabela's, no matter how many times I told people touch screens aren't worth it they never listened. They would rather have a lesser GPS with a touch screen then a better one with buttons.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

StruttinGobbler3

I use a Garmin Astro. Technically it is the handheld that came with my Garmin GPS tracking system for my coonhounds, but it still has all the features and functions of a handheld GPS along with the dog tracking feature. I usually turn on a tracking collar and lay it on top of the truck when I head into the woods turkey hunting, so it directs me straight back. However, I also use the map feature and you can mark where the truck is, or mark a roost tree, strut zone, etc. The map feature shows elevations of the land as well as all roads, creeks, ponds, and swamps, which comes in handy when I'm moving on a bird. Great hunting tool. Saves me a heap of steps while coon hunting as well.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

doublegobble

Well I have to disagree with my fellow Voodoo member. I have had a Garmin Oregon 400t for a few years and absolutely love it. I use it all around here and have taken it to Wyoming on the last 2 elk hunts and a mule deer hunt. I have had absolutely no problem with mine and it has been through some rough times and bad weather. I think as far as a cracked screen goes, any GPS unit with that will be useless. If the screen is cracked you won't be able to see what you are doing wether or not you have buttons. I almost bought the 60 csx as I have heard great reviews about it but the ease of the touch screen is unbeatable IMO. Good luck with whatever you buy.
Red meat isn't bad for you, fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

ctwny1

I use a Magellan Sports Trac Map and have now for over 10 years...never any type of problem.

Basser69

Quote from: hookedspur on February 22, 2011, 01:45:45 PM
I use cthe garmin rhino and I like it ok.

X 2. I like having the built in 2 way radio

Spurs

This year is going to suck!!!

Fullfan

I have 2, both are garmins.  I have a Vista etrex HXC which is a great unit. Putchased the 100k topo, which I have used on my idaho elk hunts. It has brought me out to the truck from 6 milds back in. It is very quick to lock on and has a very good battery life.  My second one is the Oregon 450T. So far I have just used it here at home and some at work, just to get comfie with it. The one thing I can tell you no matter which unit you buy spend some time playing with it before you take it hunting.....
Don't gobble at me...

cassga

I use a Garmin Foretrex. Probably outdated, but its small and simple.  It basically an oversized wristwatch with a wrist strap, but I just attach it to the strap of my vest and go.  Doesnt show all the topo like some of the nicer ones do, but a direction arrow and distance to the waypoint is all I really need. Have considered upgrading to one that has topo for public land spots that Im not as familiar with though.

pennyrilehunter

It depends alot on what you want to do with it.  If you're simply wanting to mark waypoint and routes and return to them, any decent GPS will do.  If you're wanting maps for hunting large unfamiliar areas There's a BIG difference.  I have a Garmin (12 Map I think) and their mapping software and maps stink.  Unless you're in some serious mountains, 20 ft contour intervals are useless.  My brother has a Delorme and the GPS is as good or better than the Garmin and their maps and software are probably the best out there.  For $30 a year you can get unlimited downloads of standard 7.5 min USGS topo quads,  high res color aerial photos, B&W aerial imagery, and NOAA nautical charts. 

sodfather

I have a 60 csx an like it, cant get lost and thats why I got it and it is not overpriced.