OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Turkey Gun

Started by djm, February 28, 2012, 07:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtywhite

Sbe2 or super vinci if you like the feel of it
"Forgiveness is between god and them it's my job to arrange the meeting"

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: djm on February 28, 2012, 08:34:18 PM
I was thinking 1800.00 for a complete set up.

That's alot of scratch for a turkey gun! (JMO) If your new to the sport,I'd go cheaper (MB-835/REM870). I'd spend a few extra bucks on a good choke. (P.G/J.H/) keep it simple. Tru glo sights/red dot/scope it's all your preference what ever you like. You can assemble a wonderful prov-en turkey slayer for a lot less. As far as shells, Win hv./ Hevi-MB/Fed hevi 6's or 7's all produce great turkey killing patterns. Check ot the pattering board you will get a lot of ideas. With all of that money you saved you can get your license's, tags,permits and pay for your gas for the spring season. 
Now if you want to spend I'd go with the SBE2
:anim_25:
B-Well
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

longbow59

I just got a 870 super mag in mossy oak camo 26" barrel, drilled and tapped from bass pro. About $500.00 OTD. It will shoot with anything out there and you can put any optic on it. All you'll ever need.

chatterbox

With the cost of hevi-13 and other HTL loads going through the roof, I would go conservative on your slayer, and go with a Remmy 870, or Mossy 835. Both are proven killers, and there are a ton of threads and posts on them, so getting a good choke/load combo is a little easier than with some guns, and this will save you some money to spend on your premium ammo.
I would top it with a FFII, or FFIII, and call it a day! :icon_thumright:

davisd9

$1800 is a lot of money to be toting in the woods getting banged up and scratched.  I would stick with an 835 or an older 870.  The most expensive I would go is a 935 or 11-87.  Put you a good choke in that bad boy, IC, PG, or Sumtoy.  Then get you some good sights/optics. Choose your load, Hevi-Shot, Nitros, Winchester XD, etc.  Then hit the woods hard!  Good Luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tyelper

id go 870 , hard to beat and shoot and kill just as many birds as the 1500 dollar guns,,,,

BOFF

Depends on your hunting terrain.

Are you planning on shooting in thick vegetation, fields, steep hills where light weight becomes a blessing at a full days hunt, etc.

God Bless,
David B.

Longshanks

Xtrema 2/ Hevi 13 Choke/ Hevi 13 3.5/2.25/7's...You will not be sorry..Turkey Machine.  There will be no need of trying to figure out what chokes/ shells work.  This combo is right on the money. Quality gun for life with the patterns you need. Also an amazing duck/goose gun.

djm

Thanks for all the suggestions.   Think i will look at Extrema 2 and sbe2.

ghillie

You will gets lot of answers on here as to which is the BEST gun...

Best advice I can give is go to your local stores and pick them all up and handle them...there are a lot of choices out there for the pump enthusiasts to the auto loader lovers...find what fits YOU best and feels the most comfortable shouldering and carrying...sounds like you have a very nice budget to start with, however, you might find that the one the fits you best could be a mid range price!  Knowone knows but YOU...

If you have any friends with the guns mentioned, ask if you can put a few rounds through them to actually 'feel' them...

Once you have decided on a gun....work with it...polish the barrel and use multiple choke set up's to find what you feel comfortable with.  There have been some very good suggestions for you to toy with...

Good luck and keep us posted!!

jblackburn

I'd get an 870 and trick it out with a good choke and set of sights, the spend the other $1300-$1400 on a hunting trip or two!  :funnyturkey:

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

MouthCaller

Dude to echo other posters thats a lot of money for a turkey gun, to me a great turkey gun is on thats comfortable now the SBEII SX3 MAXXUS all are GREAT guns but (IMO) that would be an injustice to those guns as a turkey only gun. I am buying a SX3 for duck, dove and turkey but you can get a much better gun for just turkeys way way way cheaper. First off if you're set on any of the high dollar semi autos see if any of your buddies have one you can shoot first to see if you even like it before you buy it! I would go to the outdoors store and shoulder them ALL I love a thumbhole stock or pistol grip stock for a turkey gun. It might look funny but sit down in the store in a turkey hunting position and see what feels right and how easy it would be to hold for a long period of time.

bowhunter1221

Any of the above choices would be good. I'm getting an sx3, for all game though.

Passintime

redleg06

I've got an extrema and love it but if you are going with just a pure turkey gun I'd 100% get a 870 or 835 and then trick it out with a knoxx stock or shurshot, put a good choke on it an reflex style site if that's your thing.

Like I said I love my extrema but when I wanted a pure turkey gun, I got a 870 supermag and did what I wanted to it. Use the extra money to upgrade ammo, sites, chokes etc. You'll end up with just as efficient of turkey killer (maybe even more so) and have paid half as much.