News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Load Suggestion for 11-87

Started by tmreynolds, February 28, 2012, 02:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmreynolds

All,

I'm a new turkey hunter so appreciate anyone's input.  I'm looking for suggestions on loads to buy for my 11-87 (3in) for first hunt.  I plan to pattern them before hand to sight them in, but my wife is not cool with the idea of me buying multiple 20 dollar boxes for testing (hopefully for next season that'll change).

I'll be using a Primos Tight Wad choke.

I'd like to shoot one of the HTL type loads, but am not sure between Winchester Xtnd Range #6, Hevi-13 #7, or Federal MagShok Heavyweight #7.  My dad swears by the federal lead magshok with an 11-87 and tight wad choke, so I'm leaning towards the Federal heavyweights.  Not to mention they get the velocity of the Winchester while still having #7 shot size--and they also don't suffer from the QC issues Hevi has.

However, I'm hestitant because the choke is ported and it's a flight control wad.  My dad still seems to love them in his choke, but if there's something better, I'd prefer to use that.

I'll be hunting in Osceola's in south florida, and from the looks of the terrain, I can't imagine the shots will be too long.  Not like shooting a big open feild in GA or something.

I appreciate any thoughts/input.  I hope to order from Cabelas tonight while they still have the $5.00 shipping on $100 orders.

Thanks!

davisd9

I would try Hevi 3" 2 oz 6s with the tight wad.  I had a friend try them out this past saturday in that choke in an 870 and got around 150 hits in the 10" at 40 yards.  For your hunting situation that should do a pretty dag um good pattern.  It was overall even.  I would suggest that if you come up with the extra cash to try a Jelly head .660 or .665 or a PG .670.  Nothing wrong with your choke and if you can get it shooting to your liking with the tight wad then stick with it.  Good luck and do not get caught up in the numbers race, it is very easy to do.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tmreynolds

Was that a new hevi?  Cause I thought with all the QC issues, a hevi purchased today is totally different from one purchased last week?  That's my worry about them...

And you like the #6 vs the #7?

davisd9

The biggest issues seen with the Hevi's were in 7 shot.  Plenty on here use the 7s hardcore but I prefer the 6s.  Will the 7s kill, sure.  According to another post on the board Hevi has listened to the complaints of their failure to keep shells preforming the same.  I can tell you this.  I shot Hevi 3.5 6s two weeks apart with shells from different lot numbers and received very close results.  The 6s will be easier to find in a store and online.  Good Luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer