turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I Think I Have Solved The Star Dot Choke Mystery

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, February 28, 2012, 04:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well the Colonial Arms owner Betty McDonald told me they did in fact make the original Star Dot chokes for Highlander Sports, Inc. in the early 90's.  She then told me that Highlander later changed the chokes name to Preston Pitmann and that they weren't affiliated with them and that Highlander had somone else make these chokes.  Well I thought I remember seeing some package labeled Preston Pitmann and Star Dot but I may be wrong.  So I will take her for her word.  She told me that it was her idea to get Highlander to market a choke with their fiber optic sights.  Later on things went bad financially for Highlander Sports, Inc. and that they weren't paying their bills so Colonial Arms stopped producing these chokes for them and I'll leave out whatelse she said.  

So now we know.  

And here is whatelse Betty told me.  She said the turkey chokes that they have on their website should be the exact same dimensions internally as the old Star Dot chokes.  She said the 12MOTPX which stands for 12GA Moss turkey ported xtra full should be the same choke as the Star Dot.  They also make a 12MOTPF which is a 12GA turkey ported full.  These chokes are $54.95 on their website.  And she said they also make a  nonported version which are the same as above and are 12MOTK1(full) and 12MOTK2(xtra full) and are $31.95 on their website.  

Thank you Betty for your help.  She did want to know why I was asking all these questions.  She thought I was a choke maker.  LOL!

keyser12ga

goblr77

Brad, I called and talked to her myself just to check the constriction. It's a .680, pretty dang close to what the Stardot was. I ordered one. Should be here soon. Preciate the info Bud. :thanks:

ILIKEHEVI-13

This is what happens when you work swing shift.  I stayed up all nite looking for something to do.  LOL!  But I feel like it was worth it.  

I have always wanted to know who made these chokes.  And I didn't think that Highlander had any CNC machines to do it themself.  Betty told me that Highlander Sports did not have any CNC machines and confirmed all of what I figured out.  So now we know the rest of the story.  Good day!  

ILIKEHEVI-13

My next quest is to figure out who makes the Jelly Head chokes for Primos.  And I think I am very close. 

Philippe

Wow! Thanks for the awsome info man! We outta see if they would do a group buy and make us some of the old style stardots!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Very interesting - thanks...

Im still learning and trying to understand.

ILIKEHEVI-13

And now I think I understand where the first lady I spoke with said that Highlander stole their design.  That probably occured when the Preston Pittman chokes started being made.  The rest we can only speculate to what happened.  But I bet we can assume.  

CASH

I'll have to check that place out next time I go to the beach
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: CASH on February 28, 2012, 01:22:49 PM
I'll have to check that place out next time I go to the beach

Well do me a favor and tell Betty that Brad said he wants a cut of their future 835 turkey choke sales.

Mike Honcho

That is great info and detective work.   I am in marketing and I have to do quite a bit of competitive research and have always enjoyed it.   I have a Star dot for my 835 and have talked  it up to my friends...now I can let them know where to get  a similar choke.

mossy835

It will be real interesting to see how the "NEW STAR DOT" really shoots!! For any that buys one let us know what your results are please.
Poor turkeys!!
:funnyturkey:

Reloader

The 3 best SD chokes I've used were Inv, Inv+, and 835/935.  The INV were both .667, the 835 .676.  I have also heard some say the 835 chokes came in all the way to .682.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 28, 2012, 01:10:50 PM
My next quest is to figure out who makes the Jelly Head chokes for Primos.  And I think I am very close. 

I'm thinking Carlson's???
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.