turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I Think I Have Solved The Star Dot Choke Mystery

Started by ILIKEHEVI-13, February 28, 2012, 04:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neohiohunter

I would imagine they were made at 2 different production times and after reading that would make sense but why change only the appearance so is that the only difference ?

gersus

Mine has straight lines and is about a 660 accuchoke. I bought it somewhere in the early 2000's.

goblr77

Quote from: neohiohunter on February 29, 2012, 02:51:08 PM
I see your star dot in the picture has knurled top as opposed mine has straight lines so Wat era is my choke from or at this point is it even a star dot?

They probably just changed tooling and went with a straight knurl. It's still a Stardot.

hunter-b

I have Rem. staight line & invector knurled that fits mossy 500. Both are .668

neohiohunter

Thanks for the replies just wanted to make sure b4 I sent some hevi 7's thru it and after brads investigation it had me wondering

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: neohiohunter on February 29, 2012, 02:51:08 PM
I see your star dot in the picture has knurled top as opposed mine has straight lines so Wat era is my choke from or at this point is it even a star dot?

Well I believe the other one that I gave to a co-worker had the staright cut lines on the end of the choke and it said Star Dot just like the one I have.   So I would say they are the exact same otherwise.  The ones that said Pittman on them may mot be.  That like I said is when the money got tight and Colonial dropped businees with them and Highlander apparently had someone else copy this design.     

neohiohunter

Thanks. I figured after seeing pattern pics from that pure gold u got off me u woulda forgot about the lousy star dot anyway  :smiley-char092:

ILIKEHEVI-13

The Pure Gold is a good shooting #7 choke.  But it won't match the consistency of the Star Dot.  But very few chokes will in the 835 from what I have seen at least shooting Hevi-13 3.5" #7 loads. 

haganbd1

hey ilikehevi,  you really did your homework on this star dot mystery.  i really appreciate you putting this up here, for us to see.  really good to know.  im anxious to see what kind of patterns these colonial arms chokes throw.  im sure there will be some posted soon. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Nick_The_Tinkerer on March 07, 2012, 11:37:30 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150772192173?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

so is this one????

Yep.  

Guys, I think we soon shall find out how well these chokes shoot with good Hevi-13 loads or Win Xtended loads.  Heck they might even shoot good with the Federal Heavweight I don't know.  I just talked to Nate on here and he said his Colonial choke he just got had I believe 12 ports.  Myles I think said his had less port than his Star Dot.  So Nate thinks they may have made some additional port changes since I'm guessing I posted this.  My original Star Dot I have has 10 ports.  

What I am waiting to see like you is how well these chokes will shoot what I know to be good loads like the Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7 loads lot #300325 or any other good lot that we know shoots great.  That will at least give us objective data to hopefully compare these chokes with the old if they are just about the same internals.  That's not stating they won't shoot other good loads or size shot.   I'm almost positive these chokes will shoot about the exact same as the old Star Dots from what I was told on the phone by the owner who should in fact know since she was there during the time they made these Star Dot chokes.  She plainly told me the internals are about exactly the same.  

davisd9

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 08, 2012, 01:14:17 AM
Quote from: Nick_The_Tinkerer on March 07, 2012, 11:37:30 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150772192173?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

so is this one????

Yep.  

Guys, I think we soon shall find out how well these chokes shoot with good Hevi-13 loads or Win Xtended loads.  Heck they might even shoot good with the Federal Heavweight I don't know.  I just talked to Nate on here and he said his Colonial choke he just got had I believe 12 ports.  Myles I think said his had less port than his Star Dot.  So Nate thinks they may have made some additional port changes since I'm guessing I posted this.  My original Star Dot I have has 10 ports.  

What I am waiting to see like you is how well these chokes will shoot what I know to be good loads like the Hevi-13 .5" 2.25oz #7 loads lot #300325 or any other good lot that we know shoots great.  That will at least give us objective data to hopefully compare these chokes with the old if they are just about the same internals.  That's not stating they won't shoot other good loads or size shot.   I'm almost positive these chokes will shoot about the exact same as the old Star Dots from what I was told on the phone by the owner who should in fact know since she was there during the time they made these Star Dot chokes.  She plainly told me the internals are about exactly the same.  

Finish your investigation, buy one and show us how it shoots.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Nick_The_Tinkerer

:lol:

Perhaps it wasnt a good idea to post it here the price jumped to 31 already

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Nick_The_Tinkerer on March 08, 2012, 09:33:29 AM
:lol:

Perhaps it wasnt a good idea to post it here the price jumped to 31 already

Ya think?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mightyjoeyoung

Look at posting up a good internet deal that you would wana buy like internet scouting.  You post up a location you found a bunch of birds on and then wonder why the next day there are 50 guys there...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.