turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Project cheapgun

Started by Dirtybird555, February 26, 2012, 10:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtybird555

Ok so I've  been looking for a new project. My buddy and I were kicking around Academy sports a month ago, we were looking at the shotguns and I noticed that they had the mossberg maverick for $159. I just couldn't pass it up. My buddy( not a mossberg fan) could not understand why I picked the maverick to use as a turkey gun project. He said it's too long, and it's only 3", there's no way this gonna work! So I said " wanna bet?" and the bet was struck! These are the guide lines.

Lead only- #6 or bigger no mix load

Choke- less than 30$ new or used

Stock- must be what was on it when I bought it.

Sights/optics- less than 100$/ including mount.

Goal- 200 in 10" at 40/ must kill a gobbler 1 shot over 35 yards.

Prize? Loser buys the others tags for our Illinois bow trip this year/ roughly 450$!

TrkyHntr

Only thing I see wrong is the 200 in the 10" at 40yds. Not going to happen with lead. For a cheap choke, I would get a truglo gobble stopper extreme or a primos tightwad.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

TNhunterKMC

Keep us all posted but I agree with the previous post - you might as well buy your buddy's tag if Illinois now.  Surprise us all though. 

gersus

You have your work cut out for you! Good luck, I hope you win!

Dirtybird555

So I took the bet and this is where I'm at....

Gun-159$  mossberg maverick 12ga 3"

Choke-24$ primos tightwad .660

Sight/optic-25$/30$ weaver saddle mount/ centerpoint red dot.

Ammo-15$ fed #6. 10$/25 rio #5 23/4

So I get the gun home, break it down, and clean the crap out of it! I polished the barrel,and started ordering parts. I put it all back together and run some low brass through it to loosen up the action. It shot well but had no grip on the stock. So I used a sodering iron to dimple the stock for grip.

All the parts came in and I put it all together.

redarrow

I wish you luck ,but I agree you got your work cut out for you.
I like what you did to the stock.

Dirtybird555

So today I shot patterns. This was the best one. Soo close.
40yrds- taped
56 degrees
193 10"

K9Doc

If that's 193 in 10" at 40yard, go buy all you can in that lot #.  I have never seen that before with lead.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

I hate turkeys

You might try some handloads
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

Dirtybird555

I've got all season, I'll get it. I stumbled across a Simons in the rough on my journey to 200. I picked up some high brass to set the red dot with. While I was looking I see some rio 23/4 #5 high brass. 10.00$/25 how could I say no? I shoot one, walk to the target and it's low. Adjust and shoot again. Money! I notice that it's holding a nice pattern at 15 yards. So I moved to 25 and got this
Not bad for .40$ a shell.

Dirtybird555

Quote from: K9Doc on February 26, 2012, 11:45:25 PM
If that's 193 in 10" at 40yard, go buy all you can in that lot #.  I have never seen that before with lead.
I forgot to mention that I told him if I had to get 200 that rips count as two. He agreed.  I know this is not how patterns are judged on here but all is fair when tags are on the line.

Dirtybird555

Old gobbler count is 169. Is it the shot or the target? I don't remember getting so many tears on butcher paper

Dirtybird555

Quote from: TNhunterKMC on February 26, 2012, 11:15:33 PM
Keep us all posted but I agree with the previous post - you might as well buy your buddy's tag if Illinois now.  Surprise us all though.
I might buy them, but it will be with his money! He is a lsu fan, and let's just say he didn't enjoy the game championship game as much as I did! Lol

C J Stahly

That is an awesome pattern.  If that is 193 @ 40, I think you can get 200.  If you shot at "big paper" and your 10" circle was a little farther to the right you might be able to get there.  You are thinner on the left side that the right side, so if your pattern on the right had a few more than it does on the left you might be money. 

dirtywhite

that attern with lead at 40 is nice i hope you get to 200 goodluck love the soldering trick looks good
"Forgiveness is between god and them it's my job to arrange the meeting"