turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

warm temps effect on breeding

Started by VAHUNTER, February 22, 2011, 07:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAHUNTER

two days ago it was 70 degrees and now we have 3" of sleet and ice. i'm really starting to hate winter.

but in another way i'm glad. i believe if it warms up and stays warm for a few days it will start the breeding season. what is your opinion ???
Good things come to those who wait

turkey_slayer

I dont think the weather has a thing to do with it.  Lengthening of days triggers it.   It might get the toms to gobble a little more but it dont change the hens biological clock. Mother nature has a way of taking care of things  :icon_thumright:

mossybird

I dont think it has much affect. But we got the whole wintery mix coming down in Culpeper. :-\

shootumindaface

As Lovett described it "Gobblings cheap, eggs are expensive"

younggun

Me and my dad had this conversation yesterday. He said he was worried that with the warm temps they would start breeding soon. Now I am with some of you and believe the longer days induce breeding. but my response to him was that I hope they breed all the hens before season so that when it opens I will be the only hen in the woods talking sweet to them and the other hens will be running to nest. ;D

hookedspur

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 22, 2011, 09:28:42 AM
I dont think the weather has a thing to do with it.  Lengthening of days triggers it.   It might get the toms to gobble a little more but it dont change the hens biological clock. Mother nature has a way of taking care of things  :icon_thumright:
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sugarray

Here is what Lovett has to say about gobbling.  There was a post before the crash where he said that hens want to breed with longer days as well.  My vote, longer days.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,1309.0.html

knightrider

daylight rules the roost not the weather, just like deerhunters worry about warm weather in nov. mother nature knows what she is doing

MDbowman

Daylight savings time must really throw them off!! :TooFunny:

Basser69

devin4484

I think that the hens in april are just like does in november and will breed the same time every year.  I heard birds gobbling in november and december this year deer hunting in KY and IN, this was the first time I have ever heard gobbing in the fall in my 10 years of deer hunting.  We start going to the state parks around were we live and call in birds in march with snow on the ground.  These are areas that no one can hunt.  I think the young gobblers are mostly what we are calling in though.  I'm betting the older birds are hanging close to the hens strutting and feeding.

VA_Birdhunter

:agreed: this is something hunters worry about most years and you will see it come up on a discussion quite often but mother nature will keep everything in line.  Come season it will be go time!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

oatsj

oatsj

Quote from: Roy on February 22, 2011, 04:48:08 PM
My grandpa who has been turk huntin since the early 50's (Doesnt make him an expert, but hes had lots of experience) said that a late winter will make for the best spring huntin.  But, i guess thats just an old wives tale.

when the season opens is the best :you_rock: :you_rock:

camp man

That's my opinion too.