turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" 835 loads.....?

Started by kyhunter57, February 26, 2012, 07:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

If I went this way with 3" shells, I'd shoot a SSX .670 and Hevi #7's.  If you wanted to spend a little more on choke then a Pure Gold .670 or Indian Creek .675 would be good choices as well.  The 7's will kill and give you great patterns in the 3" shell.  Cheaper too!!

I have a 20" barrel 835.

bigbuck326

Mine 835 go with Indian Creek Choke on 3 inches over 3 half inches and it s good pattern density with Polisher Barrel  I used Remington Nitro #5 really knock down fast  killed 6 Pa. Gobblers.......  :fud::newmascot:

reflexl

If you can find some of the pre-flight control federal 3" #6 loads and a .676 Stardot you would be set. 40 yard birds were no problem. Mine shot them exceptionaly good. That said the same gun with the W-W 3.5" #6 of #5 is one more turkey smashing machine. With this combo I have never seen the need to go to heavy shot. reflexl

kyhunter57

Thanks for all the responses guys....lots of stuff to consider.I'm leaning towards the PG in .670 since it seems to be a real popular choice for 835's. I'll pattern the 3" shells I have and if they aren't real good I'll get some 3.5's....and a Limbsaver pad,lol.  Thanks for the help.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: mossy835 on February 27, 2012, 01:35:09 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 26, 2012, 10:38:09 PM
There's nite and day difference between shooting the 3" Hevi-13 loads and the 3.5" Hevi-13 loads in my 835.  I have even showed people the difference.  Why would anyone want to shoot just 3" shells after owning an 835? 
Your pattern proves your point as they always have. In my case I still can not see well enough to shoot with my right eye and I shoot right handed so I use my left eye and a Mueller to compensate so recoil will always be an issue for me. With that said the 3 inch kills as good as the 3.5 it just has fewer pellets so it makes me take my time and do it right. Your patterns are what many strive for on this site!! :newmascot:

Well thanks for the kind words.  Your making my head swell.  But seriously I meant nothing bad about shooting 3" shells and your case in point I do understand why.  And others may just like the 3" shells over the 3.5" and don't want a better or maybe need a better pattern.  I do respect their choice.  I always say that choice is good as long as it works. 

keyser12ga

I will admit that I switched from 3.5" to 3" in my 835.  This is only because I purchased several boxes of the old white Hevi 3" 6's from a member here and the patterns were better than what I was getting with the new 3.5 6's.  The only problem I found with the old white shells is the consistency from shell to shell.  I've got white buffer material coming out of some and I can clearly hear differences in the shells when I shake them.  Some rattle like the shot is all loose in there.

unworthy

I just shot my 835 with the old Federal Premium 3" #6, 2oz loads.  I got 240 in 10" at 35 yards.  I love this shot and it is easy on the shoulder.  The only problem is they are hard to find and the new Federal loads like this have the "flight control wad" and don't shoot near as well.

reflexl

Quote from: unworthy on February 29, 2012, 10:48:15 AM
I just shot my 835 with the old Federal Premium 3" #6, 2oz loads.  I got 240 in 10" at 35 yards.  I love this shot and it is easy on the shoulder.  The only problem is they are hard to find and the new Federal loads like this have the "flight control wad" and don't shoot near as well.

I wish I had a bunch of those! One of the best turkey loads ever. The flight control through the stardot is spotty at best. reflexl

unworthy

I haven't had any personal experience, but I've heard the flight control wads suck for duck hunting as well...

WildSpur

240 at 35 yards!  Wow!  That would be better the some htl loads at 40.  Good find!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

reflexl

Quote from: WildSpur on February 29, 2012, 11:36:05 AM
240 at 35 yards!  Wow!  That would be better the some htl loads at 40.  Good find!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

I don't doubt that a bit. The pattern from these loads threw a very tight concentration of shot at the center of the pattern. I still haven't figured out why they ruined a good thing. reflexl

unworthy

I sent federal an email early this morning asking why they stopped making them.  I'm anxious to see what they have to say.

tactikel

I have the exact same setup you have. I polished the barrel, added a pure gold .670, and use hevishot. With 3.5/2.25/6 I can get 245 in 10" at 40 yards, and will post 142 at 50 yards! If you want to avoid the punishing recoil of the 3.5", avoid magblends, use 3" Shells in either #6 or 7. Be sure to pattern your shells  extensively to establish the range you can make an ethical kill.

Tom Foolery

Well guys I just made a liar out of myself.  I was shooting my little 20" barreled 870 with the Winchester XX gray box 3" 1 7/8oz #5's.  They are like $7 a box at WallyWorld.  It was throwing 95-108 @ 41yds and I was happy. 

My 835 had 4 rounds fired and only boresnaked between rounds.  I put up a new piece of paper and shot one of the 3" XX #5's just to prove myself right.  41yds 3" XX #5's - 119, looks like I may have just got a new dirt cheap load.  The 2nd shot went 111 just to see if it was a fluke.