turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" 835 loads.....?

Started by kyhunter57, February 26, 2012, 07:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyhunter57

Hey guys,new member,first post ! Been lurking on this site for a while and really appreciate all the knowledge about guns and loads. I've got a Mossy 835,24" ported barrel and although I've seen many posts about chokes and loads for 835's, most are for 3.5" loads.I'm not particularly recoil shy but will admit that the 3.5" round is painful. I want to use 3" loads so here's my question.....what single choke/load combo for 3" loads performs best in my 835 ? I love to shoot but will never go buy a bunch of expensive chokes just to test them so I'm calling on all the experience here for some help.Thanks in advance for the help.....this site is great ! :you_rock:

MossbergMike

Hey let me start of by saying :welcomeOG: And I have your exact set up. I went and got a jelly head choke and shoot Win ext # 5's through it 3" shell. I get a great pattern at 40 yards. Hope that helps.

Tom Foolery

My 835 has never threw a good pattern with 3" shells.  I would probably try the Hevi13 3-2-6 load if you wanted to shoot a 3".  I think mine was around 130 in the 10" @ 40yds. 

I can beat that with a $12 box of 3.5" HV's from walmart.

cgarner1

my 835 don't like 3" shells. haven't broke 200 with 3" 7s yet

Tom Foolery

Honestly, I bought an 835 to shoot 3.5's, shooting 3's never really crossed my mind.  I tried them but had no real expectations that they would out shoot the 3.5's.

ILIKEHEVI-13

There's nite and day difference between shooting the 3" Hevi-13 loads and the 3.5" Hevi-13 loads in my 835.  I have even showed people the difference.  Why would anyone want to shoot just 3" shells after owning an 835? 

MossbergMike

looks like I need to do some more research maybe my pattern isn't as good as I think it is. But to be honest those 3.5 hurt when I first got my gun last year i shot 4 3.5's through it and my shoulder was saw for three days. But that just comes with the territory I guess.

MossbergMike

Have any of you guys tried 3"s with a polished barrel?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: kyhunter57 on February 26, 2012, 07:38:19 PM
Hey guys,new member,first post ! Been lurking on this site for a while and really appreciate all the knowledge about guns and loads. I've got a Mossy 835,24" ported barrel and although I've seen many posts about chokes and loads for 835's, most are for 3.5" loads.I'm not particularly recoil shy but will admit that the 3.5" round is painful. I want to use 3" loads so here's my question.....what single choke/load combo for 3" loads performs best in my 835 ? I love to shoot but will never go buy a bunch of expensive chokes just to test them so I'm calling on all the experience here for some help.Thanks in advance for the help.....this site is great ! :you_rock:

Welcome to OG. We're glad to have you here and look forward to hearing more from you.

I shoot a lot of 3" shells through my 835, 935 and SSi-ONE guns. I have my best patterns with the Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. The #7 shot also does well but my guns prefer the #6 for pattern density. I use the SSX most of the time but the Hevi-13 and Pure Gold chokes all do well.

The common denominator in chokes for those guns is about .100 - .105 of constriction and that give you a choke with an exit diameter of between .670 and .675.

Good dense patterns with 180 - 200 are pretty common with the #6 shot in those guns and frankly I'd have to look to see the numbers with the #7 shot to give you more precise information.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

unworthy

I would recommend checking with choke manufactures on their results.  For example, Kick's recommends 3" #6's out of a .670 choke with the ol' 835.

mossy835

I only shoot 3 inch in my 835 and a Carlson's choke. I shoot mag blend and #7 both have cleanly killed turkeys for me without the recoil. Now with the limbsaver recoil pad 3.5 recoil is not all that bad but my preference is the 3 inch shells. My two hunting buddies also shoot 3 inch mag blends and last year one took 2 turkeys on different days at "reasonable yardage" with both birds dead on contact.

davisd9

Heard good things about Hevi 3" 6s 2 oz and a JellyHead.  Good Luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

goblr77

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 26, 2012, 10:38:09 PM
There's nite and day difference between shooting the 3" Hevi-13 loads and the 3.5" Hevi-13 loads in my 835.  I have even showed people the difference.  Why would anyone want to shoot just 3" shells after owning an 835? 

:icon_thumright:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thanks Myles.

Here let me back up my claim with my evidence.  Now granted that 3" pattern will smoke any turkey out there at reasonable ranges.  This one below was shot with the .670 Pure Gold.  I have tried shooting these 3" loads through my better shooting .676 Star Dot, and you can clearly see the difference on paper and are typically about like the Pure Gold pattern below.

Now why settle for that unless that's all you want or you don't like the recoil of course when you can have patterns like this?

And then there will be some wanting to know but yea but how's the 20" pattern so I might as well show you.

mossy835

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 26, 2012, 10:38:09 PM
Your pattern proves your point as they always have. In my case I still can not see well enough to shoot with my right eye and I shoot right handed so I use my left eye and a Mueller to compensate so recoil will always be an issue for me. With that said the 3 inch kills as good as the 3.5 it just has fewer pellets so it makes me take my time and do it right. Your patterns are what many strive for on this site!! :newmascot: