OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

HELP!!!!!!!!

Started by Trevor2, February 26, 2012, 03:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

I bought two ssx chokes for mine and my dads guns. Mine shoots good enough for me. Im shooting Hevi #6 and getting 157 at 40 yards. Dad wont buy the expensive hevis so he is shooting win high velocity number 6. and also tried the remington nitro #6 through it. We have had a time with this gun since we got it. Just cant find the right combo for it to produce like I want. It is well capable of killing turkeys, bc I have killed two with it. But the very best number we got out of it in its entirety is 57 at 40. I know its shoots great at 30 yards. with any choke at shell. it throws a good even full spread pattern at 30. But we have yet to get anything better than 57 at 40. Seems like after 30 yards it falls apart no matter what we do. Im sure if he would shoot hevi then it might put up better numbers but idk what else to do since he dont wanna shoot those.

Any advice? Im beyond annoyed with this gun.
Strutstopper

bird

What is the gun and barrel length?

Trevor2

Quote from: bird on February 26, 2012, 03:38:32 PM
What is the gun and barrel length?
Barrel measures 24" and gun is 43 1/4" in total without choke.
Strutstopper

cannonball

What brand and model is your Dad's gun?

Trevor2

Strutstopper

bird

Open your choke up. You're too tight. JH .665, IC .665 of PG .670

bird

PS. ...... I bet if you tell your dad that the SSX is a made in China that he will tell you to get it out of his gun anyways ?

Trevor2

Quote from: bird on February 26, 2012, 04:02:59 PM
Open your choke up. You're too tight. JH .665, IC .665 of PG .670
I had a hastings .665 I believe it was in it before with same results. But Ill give it a try.
Strutstopper

cannonball

I am shooting a Jellyhead .665 in my 870. I shoot Hevi's, but I sighted my Mueller red dot in with some Winchester HV 5's that I had to save my Hevi's. I didn't count the pellets with the lead shells, but I know I was getting over 100 hits in a 10" circle from 40 yards with lead. I would look at another choke and deep clean the barrel if this hasn't been recently done.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Trevor2 on February 26, 2012, 03:23:42 PM
I bought two ssx chokes for mine and my dads guns. Mine shoots good enough for me. Im shooting Hevi #6 and getting 157 at 40 yards. Dad wont buy the expensive hevis so he is shooting win high velocity number 6. and also tried the remington nitro #6 through it. We have had a time with this gun since we got it. Just cant find the right combo for it to produce like I want. It is well capable of killing turkeys, bc I have killed two with it. But the very best number we got out of it in its entirety is 57 at 40. I know its shoots great at 30 yards. with any choke at shell. it throws a good even full spread pattern at 30. But we have yet to get anything better than 57 at 40. Seems like after 30 yards it falls apart no matter what we do. Im sure if he would shoot hevi then it might put up better numbers but idk what else to do since he dont wanna shoot those.

I have a couple of questions and a suggestion or two that you may find to be of help.

First of all, I'd recommend that you deep clean both the barrel and the choke tube. If you've already done that, then I'd recommend that you make sure the magazine end cap is tight. That's all that holds the barrel tight in the receiver.

I recommend "hand tight" and then using some padded pliers, tighten it 4 more clicks. It's good to mark the cap and the barrel band, so you can see if it's always in the same place. Some red nail polish is good. Just put a line across the cap and the barrel band.

If a Remington barrel moves, just as the shot is fired, it can scatter the shot.

Since you've seen this problem with other chokes with that gun, I just want to make sure of a couple of things.

You are shooting at big paper (cardboard) at least 3 feet x 3 feet and then circling the best 10" pattern after you've shot, correct?

You're shooting at some hunting like temperature, in the 40s at least?

Something is amiss. I have 21", 24", 26", 28" and 30" Remington barrels for 870s and 11-87s that throw excellent patterns with those same chokes and 3" Winchester HV shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot. That same combination won 2 World Championships, with Roger Burrell behind the gun.

Please let me know if there's something I'm missing. That should be a very potent combination.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Trevor2 on February 26, 2012, 03:23:42 PMI bought two ssx chokes for mine and my dads guns. Mine shoots good enough for me. Im shooting Hevi #6 and getting 157 at 40 yards. Dad wont buy the expensive hevis so he is shooting win high velocity number 6. and also tried the remington nitro #6 through it. We have had a time with this gun since we got it. Just cant find the right combo for it to produce like I want. It is well capable of killing turkeys, bc I have killed two with it. But the very best number we got out of it in its entirety is 57 at 40. I know its shoots great at 30 yards. with any choke at shell. it throws a good even full spread pattern at 30. But we have yet to get anything better than 57 at 40. Seems like after 30 yards it falls apart no matter what we do. Im sure if he would shoot hevi then it might put up better numbers but idk what else to do since he dont wanna shoot those.

Dude, he's your dad!

Buy him a box or two of hevi 13!

Trevor2

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 26, 2012, 04:23:41 PM

I have a couple of questions and a suggestion or two that you may find to be of help.

First of all, I'd recommend that you deep clean both the barrel and the choke tube. If you've already done that, then I'd recommend that you make sure the magazine end cap is tight. That's all that holds the barrel tight in the receiver.

I recommend "hand tight" and then using some padded pliers, tighten it 4 more clicks. It's good to mark the cap and the barrel band, so you can see if it's always in the same place. Some red nail polish is good. Just put a line across the cap and the barrel band.

If a Remington barrel moves, just as the shot is fired, it can scatter the shot.

Since you've seen this problem with other chokes with that gun, I just want to make sure of a couple of things.

You are shooting at big paper (cardboard) at least 3 feet x 3 feet and then circling the best 10" pattern after you've shot, correct?

You're shooting at some hunting like temperature, in the 40s at least?

Something is amiss. I have 21", 24", 26", 28" and 30" Remington barrels for 870s and 11-87s that throw excellent patterns with those same chokes and 3" Winchester HV shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot. That same combination won 2 World Championships, with Roger Burrell behind the gun.

Please let me know if there's something I'm missing. That should be a very potent combination.

Thanks,
Clark
Thanks clark. I will check the cap. I just ordered everthing to polish the barrel and we were just shooting standard 12" circle targets. I will definately let you no how it ends up. Shooting at 58 degrees as well, with slight wind.
Strutstopper

Trevor2

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 26, 2012, 04:41:10 PM

Dude, he's your dad!

Buy him a box or two if hevi-13.
I would but with these recent price hikes im gonna shoot what I got and go back to winchesters as well.
Strutstopper

nyhunter

Have you check the POA verses POI ? sounds like that my be off. I use a kicks gobblin thunder .655 out of my 870  and it shoots the win. Pd loads very good.

Trevor2

Quote from: nyhunter on February 26, 2012, 05:07:19 PM
Have you check the POA verses POI ? sounds like that my be off. I use a kicks gobblin thunder .655 out of my 870  and it shoots the win. Pd loads very good.
Ya its hitting low. If he aims at top of head he will hit mid neck to waddles.
Strutstopper