OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Memories

Started by TRKYHTR, February 26, 2012, 01:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

As some of you might remember my best friend and turkey hunting buddy, Marvin Robbins, past away in 2009 while deer hunting. Marvin and I had turkey hunted together since 1990 and made it a plan to go somewhere together to hunt every spring. The spring of 2009 he wanted to come to CA and hunt with me. So we planned to hunt a friends place, Tim Scott. It ended up being a great trip and we both killed turkeys. This turkey hunt was Marvins last. He killed his turkey with a gun I bought for him 12 years prior for Christmas. He used that Remington 870 express magnum every year, trying to replace it with other but kept coming back to it because it patterned so well. When he died his wife asked if I wanted any of his hunting gear. I couldn't think of anything except the old 870 I bought him. When I asked his wife Barbara if I could have it she said that I was the only one Marvin would want to have it. Finally after all this time it came to me on Firday. This gun isn't very expensive and isn't pleasing to the eye but no amount of money can buy it from me. Here is a few pictures I took this morning and then a few with his last turkey ever killed and the gun with which he killed it.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Trevor2

Congrats on getting the gun. I know it means alot to you. Sorry for your loss but cherish those memories and honor him. Take a big ol thunder chicken with his gun this spring.
Strutstopper

slamman

will you put the gun up or will you continue killing birds with the gun in honor of your friend?

spurman

That's great Joe thanks for sharing.
Bill
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

greenhead11

mossy835

A memory worth a thousand words!
:jesus-cross:

guesswho

Cool stuff right there.  I'd have to kill a bird with it this year, preferably where Marvin killed his last bird.  Then  I'm not sure what I'd do, but the gun would probably go into safe keeping along with the beard, feet and probably a tail feather.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bird

Quote from: guesswho on February 26, 2012, 02:01:27 PM
Cool stuff right there.  I'd have to kill a bird with it this year, preferably where Marvin killed his last bird.  Then  I'm not sure what I'd do, but the gun would probably go into safe keeping along with the beard, feet and probably a tail feather.

:icon_thumright:

gotcha

drenalinld

That gun is a thing of beauty. I'm glad you have it now!

runngun

You see that gun holds more than shells, it holds Memories and that is what is important!!! Whether you decide to hunt with it or put it on the wall, I am glad that you have!!!
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ElkTurkMan

That's awesome Joe, thanks for sharing!  I have my dads model 12 that he killed all of his birds with.  I'll never part with it.  In fact one of these years I may try to get a bird with it myself.

turkey slayer

Thats good stuff right there!

cannonball

Guns like that are priceless. You should hunt with it this spring in honor of your friend.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I'd take it annually and relive the memories of your friendship by carrying it on a hunt or two.

Im sure he'd be up there smiling hearing his old cannon go off once each spring.

Whatever you do, it's awesome that you were able to get it.