Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Info for Beretta Extrema Owners (choke, shot and awesome pattern)

Started by sawtooth, February 25, 2012, 06:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ouachita Mountains

Guys I sure didn't mean to stir the pot. I'm not gonna rush out and buy a new gun. I wanted to post my numbers vs. Sawtooth's just to show the old "every gun is different" theory is true. Sawtooth and 2 others have stated they are getting awesome patterns with this setup, I'm not.

I shoot ducks with this gun. I'm not hell bent in turning it into a paper puncher. Numbers are just numbers, a baseline to judge what a gun might do in the field given everything is as it was from the bench (which it won't be).

Give em 3!

Longshanks

Quote from: Mablefarm on March 29, 2012, 07:36:19 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on March 29, 2012, 06:55:24 PM
Quote from: sawtooth on March 29, 2012, 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on March 29, 2012, 02:10:02 PM
Quote from: sawtooth on March 29, 2012, 06:11:21 AM
That is strange.   I know some of my worse 12 gauge 3" guns will do 115 or so with a 2 oz load of lead #5s so you might consider a different gun as I have no idea how it could shoot that bad.  Sorry about that.  

Ive owned 20-25 turkey guns and have yet to see one that will turn over 100 in a 10 with 3" Pb 5's so your claims of 115 out of the worst guns is not correct. My 24" Xtrema turns 220's with Hevi 6's so his numbers with 5's is about par for the course. Need a Hevi 13 choke and some 7's. Im turning 333 in a 10 @ 40 with Hevi 7's and occasionally use Hevi 6's with 220 in a 10 @ 40.

Come on guys we are talking about 3.5" chamber guns here not 3" or 2 3/4" 12 gauge, 20 gauge or 410's.  Yes i did say any gun so are you thinking i meant 410's as well?  :)    I am talking about any 3.5" gun shooting 3.5" with full load #5 pellet shells.  I guess you could also find the lightest oz load which may cause a problem too but hopefully most of you know what i'm trying to get out.    If your getting 100 pellets out of these type guns then something is just plain wrong.  Distance, barrel issues, defective lot of ammo, choke to barrel alignment etc.  

Anyway this topic was meant to help some people with their Beretta Extrema 2's but i'm sure there will be some that don't perform as well.  O mountains, as you mentioned i would try cleaning your barrel just to see what happens but either way the blend is definitely a good choice for you.  After doing some research i'm like you and will not be polishing the chrome line barrel.

your statement says "your worst 12g 3" guns will turn 115 with Pb 5's"..yea right...so he should switch guns...thats not the best advice I've heard on Old Gobbler.

ive been lurking these forums for sometime but decided to join based off this thread.   I think its obvious that Sawtooth was just trying to make a point with the low numbers for a 3.5" shell.  Not sure why your trying to read some much into his info.  

The numbers he was turning with that 3.5 combo are about par for the course. There are some amazing combos out there for the Xtrema and a couple have been mentioned in this thread. I would keep that 1200-1600 dollar gun and spend a little money on a Hevi 13 choke and some Hevi 7's..you wont be disappointed.