Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Info for Beretta Extrema Owners (choke, shot and awesome pattern)

Started by sawtooth, February 25, 2012, 06:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigander

I was thinking the same thing. Are you shooting at a big piece of poster board?

Ouachita Mountains

Yep, shooting at 3'x3' paper. Pattern is pretty centered. Fired about 10 rounds of lead thru new choke.  Cleaned before each shot. This is getting expensive. Don't know if there is any barrel difference 1 vs. 2. This gun does have @ 2000 rounds thru it, (it's killed a duck or 2).  ???
Give em 3!

sawtooth

That is strange.   I know some of my worse 12 gauge 3" guns will do 115 or so with a 2 oz load of lead #5s so you might consider a different gun as I have no idea how it could shoot that bad.  Sorry about that. 

goblr77

Quote from: sawtooth on March 29, 2012, 06:11:21 AM
That is strange.   I know some of my worse 12 gauge 3" guns will do 115 or so with a 2 oz load of lead #5s so you might consider a different gun as I have no idea how it could shoot that bad.  Sorry about that. 

There is nothing wrong with his gun. His results with Hevi 5s  mirror what I was getting with Winchester XR 2 oz 5s.

sawtooth

How has your gun performed with other chokes and loads?  Speaking about the Extrema 1.

Ouachita Mountains

Give em 3!

jfair

Quote from: Ouachita Mountains on March 28, 2012, 09:13:26 PM
Got my hands on some 5's today and after some tweaking, here are my results:

Extrema 1, 24" barrel, carlson's .683 choke. Lasered 40 yards-

3.5" hevi 13 2.25oz 5's - 100 in 10"
3.5" hevi 13 2.25oz 5-6-7 - 162 in 10"

Not the #s I was hoping for after seeing sawtooth's results, but way better than any lead loads I've tested.

Your magblend numbers are good.  If you start chasing the numbers that are posted here, you will drive yourself nuts.  I would never try to chase 200 pellets with any number 5 shot.  That would get expensive!  100 5's are a killer.

goblr77

Quote from: sawtooth on March 29, 2012, 07:15:20 AM
How has your gun performed with other chokes and loads?  Speaking about the Extrema 1.

It's the same exact bore and choke as the Xtrema II. .733 Optima +.

Mablefarm

well sawtooth just got through testing my extrema 2 26" barrel with your setup and man you are right.  Best yet is 219 in 10" circle and worst is 206.  This gun is a shooter for sure and the crazy thing is best i was getting before was in the 150's with lead 5's.  Thanks so much for your info and i love this site. :z-guntootsmiley:

Longshanks

That is strange.   I know some of my worse 12 gauge 3" guns will do 115 or so with a 2 oz load of lead #5s so you might consider a different gun as I have no idea how it could shoot that bad.  Sorry about that.  

Ive owned 20-25 turkey guns and have yet to see one that will turn over 100 in a 10 with 3" Pb 5's so your claims of 115 out of the worst guns is not correct. My 24" Xtrema turns 220's with Hevi 6's so his numbers with 5's is about par for the course. Need a Hevi 13 choke and some 7's. Im turning 333 in a 10 @ 40 with Hevi 7's and occasionally use Hevi 6's with 220 in a 10 @ 40.

Michigander

Quote from: Ouachita Mountains on March 29, 2012, 12:04:51 AM
Yep, shooting at 3'x3' paper. Pattern is pretty centered. Fired about 10 rounds of lead thru new choke.  Cleaned before each shot. This is getting expensive. Don't know if there is any barrel difference 1 vs. 2. This gun does have @ 2000 rounds thru it, (it's killed a duck or 2).  ???

Have you polished the barrel? I have a browning gold that i have run several thousand rounds of steel through, and I'll be honest, I was never very good about keeping it clean. I wanted to turkey hunt with it this year so I took a look at the barrel and couldnt believe all of the plastic build up. It looked like it had quite a bit of scoring as well. I polished the barrel and it got rid of all of the imperfections that normal cleaning couldnt touch. It patterns a lot better now.

But like someone else said, you dont need 200 in the 10 to kill a turkey. What the Mag Blends are doing is more than sufficient.

Ouachita Mountains

Nope, haven't polished the barrel, and won't. It's chrome lined. I will however give it a GOOD cleaning and try again. It's shiny as all get out.

Maybe this combo doesn't work as well in my gun as other's guns. I'm fine with that. I'll try different combo's as money and time allow.

I am confident enough in my mag blend #'s that I will use them this year. It would be nice to see better #'s, but if it don't work, it don't work.

I'm gonna quit messing with the thing and go do some scouting! (after I pattern my son's 870) :funnyturkey:
Give em 3!

sawtooth

Quote from: Longshanks on March 29, 2012, 02:10:02 PM
That is strange.   I know some of my worse 12 gauge 3" guns will do 115 or so with a 2 oz load of lead #5s so you might consider a different gun as I have no idea how it could shoot that bad.  Sorry about that.  

Ive owned 20-25 turkey guns and have yet to see one that will turn over 100 in a 10 with 3" Pb 5's so your claims of 115 out of the worst guns is not correct. My 24" Xtrema turns 220's with Hevi 6's so his numbers with 5's is about par for the course. Need a Hevi 13 choke and some 7's. Im turning 333 in a 10 @ 40 with Hevi 7's and occasionally use Hevi 6's with 220 in a 10 @ 40.

Come on guys we are talking about 3.5" chamber guns here not 3" or 2 3/4" 12 gauge, 20 gauge or 410's.  Yes i did say any gun so are you thinking i meant 410's as well?  :)    I am talking about any 3.5" gun shooting 3.5" with full load #5 pellet shells.  I guess you could also find the lightest oz load which may cause a problem too but hopefully most of you know what i'm trying to get out.    If your getting 100 pellets out of these type guns then something is just plain wrong.  Distance, barrel issues, defective lot of ammo, choke to barrel alignment etc. 

Anyway this topic was meant to help some people with their Beretta Extrema 2's but i'm sure there will be some that don't perform as well.  O mountains, as you mentioned i would try cleaning your barrel just to see what happens but either way the blend is definitely a good choice for you.  After doing some research i'm like you and will not be polishing the chrome line barrel.

Longshanks

Quote from: sawtooth on March 29, 2012, 03:43:59 PM

Come on guys we are talking about 3.5" chamber guns here not 3" or 2 3/4" 12 gauge, 20 gauge or 410's.  Yes i did say any gun so are you thinking i meant 410's as well?  :)    I am talking about any 3.5" gun shooting 3.5" with full load #5 pellet shells.  I guess you could also find the lightest oz load which may cause a problem too but hopefully most of you know what i'm trying to get out.    If your getting 100 pellets out of these type guns then something is just plain wrong.  Distance, barrel issues, defective lot of ammo, choke to barrel alignment etc.  

Anyway this topic was meant to help some people with their Beretta Extrema 2's but i'm sure there will be some that don't perform as well.  O mountains, as you mentioned i would try cleaning your barrel just to see what happens but either way the blend is definitely a good choice for you.  After doing some research i'm like you and will not be polishing the chrome line barrel.

your statement says "your worst 12g 3" guns will turn 115 with Pb 5's"..yea right...so he should switch guns...thats not the best advice I've heard on Old Gobbler.

Mablefarm

Quote from: Longshanks on March 29, 2012, 06:55:24 PM
Quote from: sawtooth on March 29, 2012, 03:43:59 PM

Come on guys we are talking about 3.5" chamber guns here not 3" or 2 3/4" 12 gauge, 20 gauge or 410's.  Yes i did say any gun so are you thinking i meant 410's as well?  :)    I am talking about any 3.5" gun shooting 3.5" with full load #5 pellet shells.  I guess you could also find the lightest oz load which may cause a problem too but hopefully most of you know what i'm trying to get out.    If your getting 100 pellets out of these type guns then something is just plain wrong.  Distance, barrel issues, defective lot of ammo, choke to barrel alignment etc.  

Anyway this topic was meant to help some people with their Beretta Extrema 2's but i'm sure there will be some that don't perform as well.  O mountains, as you mentioned i would try cleaning your barrel just to see what happens but either way the blend is definitely a good choice for you.  After doing some research i'm like you and will not be polishing the chrome line barrel.

your statement says "your worst 12g 3" guns will turn 115 with Pb 5's"..yea right...so he should switch guns...thats not the best advice I've heard on Old Gobbler.

ive been lurking these forums for sometime but decided to join based off this thread.   I think its obvious that Sawtooth was just trying to make a point with the low numbers for a 3.5" shell.  Not sure why your trying to read some much into his info.