Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Info for Beretta Extrema Owners (choke, shot and awesome pattern)

Started by sawtooth, February 25, 2012, 06:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

What is the bore diameter in the Beretta Extrema barrels?

goblr77

sawtooth

yep thats the one.  Good luck with it.  I'm kinda on the fence now wanting to go back and spend more time on the .673 Carlson tube as well.  Originally i was getting alot of shot blow out like the tube was too tight, however, i didn't shoot but 3-5 rounds through it and never polished it.  May try it again and speed more time testing it.  Anyway the .683 is bad to the bone for sure.  The first couple of shots will be the worst as it should improve by 3rd and 4th rounds so give it a few shots to break in. 

Ouachita Mountains

Just tried this choke in my extrema with hevi 13 mag blend 2.25 oz 5-6-7's. Got 97 pellets in a 10" circle. That was by far the best load out of 6 others tried (others all lead). Can't wait to find some 5's to try.
Give em 3!

Longshanks

Quote from: sawtooth on February 29, 2012, 02:33:17 PM
Ok we got my friends gun out and it did well.  Not as good as mine but very close.  Keep in mind his gun is new and the bore has never been polished so it should get better after worked over a bit.  From the targets we consistently got 203-209 pellets in the 10" circle showing very consistent results.  We took the center of each pattern to identify a 10" circle.  The funny thing is during each shot most pellets lost ended up being just out of the circle on the North side.   Overall for #5 shot this is a pretty strong pattern.  

Did you polish the chrome lined barrel of an Xtrema?

Ouachita Mountains

Mine is 24". I suspect with sights or a scope adjusted for POI these patterns will improve.
Give em 3!

Tail Feathers

Nice patterns!  Those 5's in Hevi should be real head crushers.

I am quite happy with the Carlson's .670 I put in my 835 for this year.  Patterns Hevi 6's and mag blends better than my Rhino .695.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

sawtooth

No we haven't polished the barrel yet and not even sure i know how to do it right.  But yes my gun has the 24" barrel and so does my friends.  Both guns ALWAYS provide over 200 pellets of Hevi13 #5's with the 2.25oz load.  Based on this i'm fairly certain most of these guns will do the same.  I'm working on a new Benelli M2 20 gauge now thats posting 120-130 #6 Hevi's at 40yds.  Probably will try and polish the barrel next on it once i'm sure of the correct method to do so.

budtripp

^^^you might want to reconsider polishing a chrome lined barrel, just saying.

Longshanks

Quote from: sawtooth on March 26, 2012, 08:16:49 PM
No we haven't polished the barrel yet and not even sure i know how to do it right.  But yes my gun has the 24" barrel and so does my friends.  Both guns ALWAYS provide over 200 pellets of Hevi13 #5's with the 2.25oz load.  Based on this i'm fairly certain most of these guns will do the same.  I'm working on a new Benelli M2 20 gauge now thats posting 120-130 #6 Hevi's at 40yds.  Probably will try and polish the barrel next on it once i'm sure of the correct method to do so.

Just curious..I have the same gun with the 24" barrel. Deep cleaning it..it ooks like a mirror on the inside. It shoots so good now I can bring myself to polish it..don't want to take the chance of messing it up.

200+ with 5's is awesome!

sawtooth

Quote from: dstueve on March 25, 2012, 09:15:33 PM
what barrel length? I have the carlson's with federal hvy weights #7 and don't get patterns like that. Might have to try HS #5.

I would get a box ech of hevi13 3.5" 2.25 oz of #5 and #6

Ouachita Mountains

Got my hands on some 5's today and after some tweaking, here are my results:

Extrema 1, 24" barrel, carlson's .683 choke. Lasered 40 yards-

3.5" hevi 13 2.25oz 5's - 100 in 10"
3.5" hevi 13 2.25oz 5-6-7 - 162 in 10"

Not the #s I was hoping for after seeing sawtooth's results, but way better than any lead loads I've tested.
Give em 3!

sawtooth

What's the difference in extrema 1 and 2 cause that just doesn't sound right to me.  Pm me and we can speak more on this too.  There's definitly something different here just need to figure out what it is. 

sawtooth

Dude that's almost not possible.  Ive never seen any gun with a extra full choke that would do even close to that low of numbers even in lead for a 2.25 oz 3.5" shell.  Something bad is wrong with your setup.