OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi 6s or 7s

Started by mnhunter2, February 25, 2012, 03:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnhunter2

Which would perform better at the longer ranges, 3.5 2 1/4 ?

Borden811

What do you consider "longer"? Hopefully 40 yards. If so, whichever patterns better, and that's usually the 7's.

redleg06

Depends on the gun.  Pattern density is the issue at "longer range" and we dont promote long range shots around here :OGani:

I shot heavy 6's for a long time and killed a lot of turkey with them, and I know a lot of other guys on here have too but the 7's seem to be the new hot ticket on here. I personally like the way the Mag Blends patterned in my guns so I went from the 6's to the Mag Blends two seasons ago when they came out.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

BowBendr

I shot the 7's for 2 years and killed some birds along the way. This year I will be shooting 6's.
I finally found a choke that shoots them great in my 835, and i'll take 210 of the 6 shot in a 10" at 40 any day.

Gobble!

runngun

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ncturkey

Is that a 3 1/2" shell?
Quote from: BowBendr on February 25, 2012, 10:05:57 AM
I shot the 7's for 2 years and killed some birds along the way. This year I will be shooting 6's.
I finally found a choke that shoots them great in my 835, and i'll take 210 of the 6 shot in a 10" at 40 any day.

BowBendr

va longbeard

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ILIKEHEVI-13

It probably don't matter much if you shoot 6's or 7's.  6's will give better penetration over  the 7's but the 7's will shoot with more density no doubt regardless of those that try to tell you their gun won't shoot the 7's well.  Well if you find the right choke and exit diameter yes it will.  The same goes for the 6's.  But all things being equal you should put a lot more shot in a 10 and 20" circle at 40yds with the 7's which mean more hits.  But then again the 6's will penetrate better with less hits making them dang lethal as well.  Like I said the point is probably moot.  Now having said that I prefer the denser patterns and shoot the 7's.  But I may be switching to 6's soon since I can buy them locally a lot cheaper since Hevi-Shot has raised their prices.

goblr77

mnhunter2

I shot the 7s the last 2 yrs but am about out of the "old good ones" and I bought a  bunch of the 3.5" 2 1/4  6s at  12.99 and was wondering what the experts felt about the 6s.  My question on range is if we are patternng the loads at 40 and 50 yards we should be able to kill a bird at that distance.

RustySap