Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does your state require you check your bird?

Started by FttFttVroom!, February 21, 2011, 09:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

FireFly908

Quote from: Double28 on February 21, 2011, 11:05:58 PM
In NE we have paper tags, you just use a stick or something to punch a hole through the month, day, and punch the selection for male or bearded hen. No check stations. No telecheck.

I was pleased once when I was taking my turkey out of my truck at our camp site and a game warden pulled up and checked that I punched the holes at the site of the kill.  At least there was some kind of accountability!
Nebraska also sends out a survey via email after the season.

Gobblerdn1

Not anymore! The powers that be decided it was too inconvienient for their buddies to have to drive to a check station and check the game. Now it's tag it before you move it and call it in within 24 hours of the kill.

Surely prople would report their kills.......right??????

OldMarine

Most Management Areas require you to check in your gobbler in Alabama and enter the day on the" Kill Sheet " before moving any Gobbler,and the ones  killed on public land too ,but I have a lifetime license and have to find a kill sheet in a magazine ,of which I could duplicate and  kill five more gobblers,etc,but most Turkey hunters are more honorable than that and I wish the state had a system like Tennessee.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

TURKEYWHACKER

In Florida on a whole, no. But certain WMA's with manned check stations require you to check your bird. I've had them sign and date my license with a harvested bird info. Wish the state would issue 2 spring and 2 fall turkey tags with our license, too many extra birds bein' carried out. :help:

longspur

as mentioned not in Ga. Most Mgt. area require hunter to sign in and sign out birds. Only one I've ever hunted is Lake Russell. Hunt there a lot every year, never saw a warden, don't know anyone who has. In deer season they swarm. Don't know if they just don't care about turkeys or they have more confidence in turkey hunters. 10 times more hunters may have something to do with it

Duke0002

As a couple of guys already stated, Ohio has computer/phone in starting this year.   Put on a flimsy paper transportation tag in the field.  Call when you get home, get a number and put on another flimsy green paper tag. 

Now, if you're going to have the bird mounted, will that big green paper tag have to be attached to the leg of the mount for eternity?

All hunters I know, process their own bird -maybe save the tail or legs to mount themselves.  Will that big green tag have to be displayed on tail and feet mounts for eternity?

If that's the case, the less conspicuous metal tags were much better.

Confusing for me.  I'm gonna make a phone call to the DNR.