only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

lubricate choke threads ?

Started by Oconeeguy, February 24, 2012, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

I use a dab of anti-seize on mine.

kaintuck

i have used both anti seize and rem oil at different times with success .but i am always checking condition of the chokes tightness when in the field and when i clean after season i use the rem oil and dont over tighten when i put the gun in the safe and so far no problems
silent water runs deep

mossy835

Many years ago I cleaned my Mossberg 410 and put it away for the year. We lived in the dessert where humidity was high so when I tried to remove the choke it had seized up. I was able to get the choke off as it was one the screwed to the outside of the barrel but since then I lube the choke threads lightly every time I clean the gun.
Carlson's makes a choke tube grease that works great and as the old commercial said a little dab will do you.

Longshanks

Quote from: Neill_Prater on February 25, 2012, 09:12:25 PM
I'm guessing if you fiddle with your guns a lot, like some who answered, lube on the threads isn't necessary, but I think the problem is if you get moisture in there and don't take the choke out to clean it promptly. Can you say "rust"?

A little bit of prevention goes a long way..if your gun gets wet and there is no oil/grease..it doesn't take long for rust to start. Do you oil the moving parts, barrel and outside of your gun? Not oiling the fine threads in a choke system is asking for gun trouble.

Headed out to listen to the turkeys this morning. Blessed day!

Oconeeguy

Thanks to all who offered advice. I guess I'll put a LITTLE "gunslick" grease on the threads. It came with my Rem 1100 Dad bought me in 1970. Can't see any downside to using it as long as i put just enough to lubricate the threads, and not so much that some oozes out inside the barrel.

bulldog18

The problem I have seen in my shop is that choke tubes do not fit tight and powder fowling will get behind them and this will draw moisture causing the threads to rust and seize. Have had too many come through in the past year. Please lube the tube.

bird

Quote from: bulldog18 on February 26, 2012, 12:53:00 PM
The problem I have seen in my shop is that choke tubes do not fit tight and powder fowling will get behind them and this will draw moisture causing the threads to rust and seize. Have had too many come through in the past year. Please lube the tube.

I love it...  "Lube da Tube"

hunter-b