OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

lubricate choke threads ?

Started by Oconeeguy, February 24, 2012, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oconeeguy

Am "deep cleaning" my thumbhole 535 because of all the recomendations from this forum, (and because it is raining on my day off). In reading the procedure on the allaboutshooting web site, the final step is to reassemble the gun leaving the bore dry. Shouldn't i put some kind of oil or lubricant on the choke threads?

reynolds243

any anti seize lub will work fine. I had some I used on my muzzleloader breach plug that i use, just dont over use it.

I have also just put remoil on it and it works just fine.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Oconeeguy on February 24, 2012, 04:02:19 PM
Am "deep cleaning" my thumbhole 535 because of all the recomendations from this forum, (and because it is raining on my day off). In reading the procedure on the allaboutshooting web site, the final step is to reassemble the gun leaving the bore dry. Shouldn't i put some kind of oil or lubricant on the choke threads?

First of all, congratulations. I think you'll see an improvement in your patterns.

The article suggests leaving the bore dry if you plan to shoot it right away or lubricating it if you plan to store it but to be sure and remove all lubrication (from the bore) prior to shooting it.

None of my guns seem to be stored for any length of time, so now I use some of the vapor technology capsules and hardly ever lubricate a bore. I do however clean them very well.

Some choke tube manufacturers recommend lubricating the threads and some recommend leaving them "clean" and dry. It also seems to be a personal choice. I've seen chokes come out of guns with threads literally covered with grease, some dry and some oiled. I'd recommend following the guidelines included with the choke.

Good post!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bird

Save yourself some headaches later on down the road and put some grease on those choke threads. It can't hurt and worse case scenario is that you have to clean the threads every now and then. It's better than ending up with a choke tube stuck in the end of your barrel.

bird

mossy835

Quote from: bird on February 24, 2012, 04:39:05 PM
Save yourself some headaches later on down the road and put some grease on those choke threads. It can't hurt and worse case scenario is that you have to clean the threads every now and then. It's better than ending up with a choke tube stuck in the end of your barrel.

bird

You hit the nail on the head with a hammer!!!! :z-winnersmiley:

Longshanks

I use T/C breech plug grease on all of my chokes and shotguns and it works fantastic. No worries and everything stays right.  :boon:

remmy1187

I just spray a little wd-40 on the threads ,wipe off the excess, and put it back in the gun.  Works for me.

goblr77

I usually just put a little Rem Oil on mine. Never had one stick.

albanyco

I use some clp, wipe off the excess and screw it in. No issues. I do pull my guns out for a once over ever few months though.

FttFttVroom!

I've only cleaned them off, but never intentionally lubed the threads before putting it back in.  Never had one stick either.

Mild Bill

Interesting thread,

I have always put some sort of anti seize grease on the threads on my choke tubes to help keep them from getting stuck in the barrel. 

I have seen a lot of otherwise very nice used shotguns over time that have had stuck tubes due to lack of some sort of lube on the choke tube threads.

A good grease also helps keep the tubes snug in a barrel that may have a tendency to be a little loose in holding the choke tubes in.

I suppose that if only a few shots are fired between taking the chokes out and cleaning everything and putting them back in it may not matter too much.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

Longshanks

My thoughts as well, hunting in the south our guns are constantly in high humidity and rain in the spring. Best thing I have found is a little maintenance goes along way in avoiding problems. Ive seen a number of guns with chokes stuck in the barrel. T/C grease is some of the best I have used.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: bird on February 24, 2012, 04:39:05 PM

bird
Well said,Grease it up for sure.

Neill_Prater

I'm guessing if you fiddle with your guns a lot, like some who answered, lube on the threads isn't necessary, but I think the problem is if you get moisture in there and don't take the choke out to clean it promptly. Can you say "rust"?

Old Gobbler

All I got to say is be very attentive with some of the Mobil/choke systems , like benelli/Beretta

make sure they are clean after each shooting - I got 2 buddies with welded shut chokes from waterfowl hunting they have tried everything , gunsmiths and all   
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon