OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

preparing a mount

Started by TennLongspur, February 24, 2012, 02:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TennLongspur

I have never gotten a full body mount, but if I decide to, how do you prep him for the taxidermist? Is there anything special I need to do to him before taking him?
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

hoyt

First thing I do is give him a load of no. 6's side the head and neck. Then smooth his feathers out and try my best not to bend or break any while transporting it home. If I'm going to freeze before I mount it I will wash all blood off make sure feathers are smooth then put head first in trash bag. It doesn't hurt to stuff tissue in mouth and anus to absorb seapage  Be sure when you lay it in freezer it's in a position that doesn't cause damage to feathers and try to get the head and neck stretched out. The short neck feathers are notorious for getting blood on and damaged also hard to get straight.

Flydown

I  have always laid his neck under one of his wings and folded the wings over the breast to cover the beard and place in a garbage bag head in first and roll him up tight in the bag.

TRKYHTR

Wrap some paper towels around his head. Stick a small piece of paper towel in his mouth. Keep the feathers clean and dry if at all possible. Stick him in a large garbage bag. Place his head under his wing and put him in the freezer. Make sure you don't bend his wing or tail feathers. A turkey is very large and there is usually not much room in a freezer. So take the time to make room so you don't have to bend his tail just to shut the door. Remember that the better looking turkey your taxidermist receives the better looking turkey you will receive. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

TennLongspur

Great advice. Thanks!! Now I have to go out and kill that monster.
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly