OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

If you could only hunt one strain of the wild turkey which one would it be?

Started by neal, February 24, 2012, 11:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one and why?

Eastern
90 (66.2%)
Merriam
25 (18.4%)
Rio
11 (8.1%)
Osceola
7 (5.1%)
Goulds
3 (2.2%)
Ocellated
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 130

slamman

ask this question after the 10th of March 2012 the only bird I haven't hunted is the Ocellated and I start hunting it March 3rd but up until now I would have to say the Osceola.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

El Pavo Grande

RutnNStrutn

I voted for Merriams. Those Merriams love to hear themselves gobble, and the weather is generally awesome during the season, and the terrain is absolutely beautiful. Hands down, the bird I'd want to hunt!!

jjenkins

nothing like a cypres swamp waking up to the thunderous gobble of a big ole eastern

Longspur321

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."--John Wayne

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."--Steve McQueen

deadhead870

nitro

Quote from: socalturkeyman on February 24, 2012, 12:48:22 PM
I would want to hunt goulds in northern mexico. There still some places there where they havent see anyone,so I guess its more of the adventure type hunt for me.

Hunting for the Gould's in the mountains north of Durango is all that is advertised ! Probably the best hunting trip of my life..
Royal Slam 2008

nitro

My favorite subspecies is the Merriams.

They live in the prettiest country, and do it right!!

I love seeing one of those white tipped fans top the crest of a mountain ridge... I have killed many Easterns and the Merriams shake me up...they are a purely fun bird to chase..
Royal Slam 2008

FttFttVroom!

Old Gobbler

Anywhere there is a turkeys I guess , I have become quite accustomed to hunting Florida , and prefer it best most of the time, the big detractor is the insane crowding and the ever shrinking available areas to hunt - some times I wonder if it will go belly up one day , The whole state is being urbanized like mad , we get challenged by anti hunters and other like minded yuppies like  horse people and  bird watchers at the game commission meetings , it will be a matter of time before they take control of the state by sheer numbers -I would be very surprised  if I can get another 10-15 years of Florida turkey hunting before they pull the rug from under us 

Guys don't take what you have for granted , prey you don't end up like us

I will ad that after hunting South Dakota the place is a  hunters Paradise , the Black Hills ......man I want to go back but don't have the free time  - God Made that country for sure 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

WildTigerTrout

I have never hunted any subspecies but the Easterns. I really don't have to hunt the others, the Easterns are fine with me.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

SouthernThunder

If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, "Roll, tide, roll!"
                                                        -Bear Bryant

guesswho

Easterns hands dowm.  Out of the three I've killed Osceolas, Easterns, and Merriams, the Eastern provides the biggest challenge.  Plus you can hunt Easterns in just any type of terrain you want to, deep south swamps, hardwood bottoms, fields, pine plantations, rolling hills and even mountains.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff