OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

If you could only hunt one strain of the wild turkey which one would it be?

Started by neal, February 24, 2012, 11:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one and why?

Eastern
90 (66.2%)
Merriam
25 (18.4%)
Rio
11 (8.1%)
Osceola
7 (5.1%)
Goulds
3 (2.2%)
Ocellated
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 130

neal

This is a question that comes up from time to time in camps so I thought I'd ask it here. Mainly because I'm bored and turkey season is a ways of yet!

Mine would be Merriams mainly because of the terain they live in, always love running those hills.

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

mfd1027

I picked Eastern's because of the diversity of their habitat.   I've hunted them from the swamps of the South, to the mountains in NH and Vt.  and across the huge farmland of the Midwest.   They've got it all covered.
Dan

Cove

Merriams act like "dream turkeys" more often for me, that coupled with the places they call home and those white tips- they have my vote.

Sherrell

Since I'm always up to my ears in our native osceola's...guess it would have to be my pick although I hunt four subspecies every year.

BrowningGuy88

I have hunted Easterns my whole life and by far they are my favorite. I love hunting them in river swamps under huge cypress trees one morning to a fire break on a pine plantation the next to a a big ridge with 150 year old oaks the next. I would love to Osceolas though. Another dream hunt is the Black Hills and chasing merriams!

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

Trevor2

Easterns bc that all I have hunted so far. Love chasing them through the mountains of tn. :turkey2:
Strutstopper

dirt road ninja

hoyt

I've only hunted Eastern s and Osceola's and by far I'd rather hunt Eastern s.

I've lived where both of them live and just don't like dealing with the mosquitoes, water and thick jungles that Osceola's frequent.

Of the species I like to kill just one good one of would be Merriam...like those white feathers.

JVA54

Quote from: Covehnter on February 24, 2012, 11:31:40 AM
Merriams act like "dream turkeys" more often for me, that coupled with the places they call home and those white tips- they have my vote.
:agreed:

mossy835

pseshooter300

Since I have only hunted eastern turkeys I will go with the eastern
Tater
Thunder Chicken Mafia
This Ain't Hollywood

runngun

I have only hunted Easterns and Rios but I chose Rios because of the terrrain in which I hunt them. However they are both alot of fun.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

redleg06

Ive only hunted rio's and easterns but I'm from Rio country and I guess when you grow up doing certain things, you tend to be partial to them. I live in Alabama now but I plan on making trips west every spring cause I miss it.

Also, if you love gobbling like i do, its hard to beat a hot Rio... :icon_thumright: