turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Smart Phone Apps

Started by bird, February 24, 2012, 10:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bird

Voxer is the one of coolest apps you can install on your smart phone. Instead of texting people you send voice like a walkie talkie which is faster and easier than texting.

Turkey Trot

I don't use a smart phone but I am curious about what the service providers are doing to heavy users by "throttling" etc. to relieve network pressure.  I'm curious if sending voice data files will cause one to be throttled.

Are the voice files bigger or smaller than text files?

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

bird

Couldn't tell ya. I have no issues with Verizon at all.

goblr77

Quote from: bird on February 24, 2012, 10:30:16 AM
Voxer is the one of coolest apps you can install on your smart phone. Instead of texting people you send voice like a walkie talkie which is faster and easier than texting.

Agreed. Everyone I work with and most of my buddies are using Voxer now. Great app!

omegafoo

Quote from: Turkey Trot on February 24, 2012, 11:24:58 AM
I don't use a smart phone but I am curious about what the service providers are doing to heavy users by "throttling" etc. to relieve network pressure.  I'm curious if sending voice data files will cause one to be throttled.

Are the voice files bigger or smaller than text files?

Voice files are most certainly bigger than text files. Any media is bigger than text files. In a network world, media packets, especially voice and more so video packets, are much more of a bandwidth hog than simple text files.

The way SMS works, to my understanding, is that bits and pieces of the message are downloaded until the message is received in compete. Then the user is notified if the complete message. If you've got poor service and pictures or voice are included,  it can take quite a while to get that attachment after you're notified.

Service providers have already made a shift in what they're providing the consumer. That's where Verizon, AT&T, and others have started limiting the amount of data you have access to, for free (included in your monthly cost), before they start charging on a per Mb or per Gb basis. That way heavy users are paying more versus the light guys.

It's all data and can all be tracked.