OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do any of you run deer with dogs?

Started by TANK, February 23, 2012, 07:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TANK

Was just wondering how many of you use dogs to hunt deer? You never see any of the such on tv. I haven't seen any of you mention it on here either. My family has used dogs since the 1800's for deer hunting. The breeds have been.....Walker, Beagle, Blue Tick, Red Tick, Plot Hound, Catahoula Cur, Black & Tan, Air Dale.....the list goes on & on.

bird

Eric Gregg

I killed my first deer on a dog hunt when I was 13. I loved hearing them run.
We primarily used beagles.

woodwzrd

HogBiologist

Unfortunately in alot of areas it is a dying thing.  I have nothing but love for it, but with the shrinking land sizes and few bad apples, it is hard to run them.  Alot of the timber companies around here are starting to ban it from their leases.  To many confrontations with neighboring land owners.  Again, it is only a small handfull of bad apples ruining it.  Growing up I remember the lease above us turning their dogs loose on one side of us and running them across us.  Then the last lease we were in, they would actually tresspass and come on us to turn loose.

The guy that lets me hunt now on some of his land runs dogs too.  He is respectful to all the neighbors.  He represents the majority of the Dog Hunters in the state.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

TANK

Quote from: LaBiologist on February 23, 2012, 08:22:50 PM
Unfortunately in alot of areas it is a dying thing.  I have nothing but love for it, but with the shrinking land sizes and few bad apples, it is hard to run them.  Alot of the timber companies around here are starting to ban it from their leases.  To many confrontations with neighboring land owners.  Again, it is only a small handfull of bad apples ruining it.  Growing up I remember the lease above us turning their dogs loose on one side of us and running them across us.  Then the last lease we were in, they would actually tresspass and come on us to turn loose.

The guy that lets me hunt now on some of his land runs dogs too.  He is respectful to all the neighbors.  He represents the majority of the Dog Hunters in the state.
I know what you are talking about with "the bad apples"! Its nothing like hearing a pack coming! In Southeast Louisiana its happening here as well. At one time my Grandpa, Dad, & myself had close to 40 head. Now we have 4 head. I was just wondering who has experienced the same excitment as I.........I know its illegal in certain areas. And I'm not trying to rise any negative comments with this post either...........

bird

Now I have watched guys run dogs for coyotes before in Southern Iowa and that was a sight to see.  Man those dogs can move!

HogBiologist

Quote from: TANK on February 23, 2012, 09:21:43 PM
I know what you are talking about with "the bad apples"! Its nothing like hearing a pack coming! In Southeast Louisiana its happening here as well. At one time my Grandpa, Dad, & myself had close to 40 head. Now we have 4 head. I was just wondering who has experienced the same excitment as I.........I know its illegal in certain areas. And I'm not trying to rise any negative comments with this post either...........

When I was a kid I went on a dog hunt.  It was awsome hearing those hounds.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

dirt road ninja

Nope. I don't own any deer dogs, but have no trouble seeing them on my place. I wish their owners would keep them off of it. I think dogs are a large part of the high fences going up all over Mississippi.

afoshie

hunt on my land, and dont do it with dogs. If i see dogs running deer the deer has its lucky day and the dog dies. I hate them things running my deer all the time.

cahaba

I have seen guys here running after dogs trying to get them rounded up. 30 min. of deer hunting and the rest of the day hunting dogs. Its illegal on the hunting lease behind my house now. I didnt complain cause the more regulations we have will just give the antis more room.

TANK

Once again, my post didn't ask for any negativity, just the ones who do or have hunted deer with hounds.....

pdqt

Yes I have six that I run for deer. Mostly pointer. with a touch of hound.   :fud:

Old Gobbler

Running Dogs used to have a following back in the day , it seems to be on the decline -  I think  contributing factors is that the dogs don't know where the next property line starts , they run into conflicts with the stand hunters -

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon