OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do any of you run deer with dogs?

Started by TANK, February 23, 2012, 07:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossy835

catdaddy

I didn't kill a deer still hunting until I was in my early 20's. I love to deer hunt with dogs but have not done it in 20 years or so. I have hunted with everything from Walkers to Beagles to cur dogs and everthing in between. I was always the "dog man" that managed the pack.  I have good/sweet memories of being at an "Old Style" deer camp in the MS River swamps where they would turned lose 20-30 hounds a day.

SWAMPFOX

grew up on deer dog hunts and loved it. nothing like hearing the woods roar. dont love love deer hunting that much anymore .now its bear hunting with dogs in the swamps that gets my heart rate going.

BrowningGuy88

Yes! I always am the driver with our dogs. Nothing like a good fitting double barrel 12 gauge and 00 buck shooting a buck that just got up under your feet!

deadhead

Grew up hunting deer with dogs in Ne. ms. loved every bit of it. Still hunt canecutters with a pair of beagles. But ya'll are  right it's a dying art.
just remember they are big chickens.

chrisun

We still do it up here in Ontario Canada. Its one of the things that draws me back into the woods each year! We now have GPS tracking on our dogs. We always know where they are. Makes it even more enjoyable.
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

TennLongspur

When I was a kid, my cousins somehow hooked up with a hunting club that ran dogs. I went a few times, and yes, it is very exciting listening to them run, hearing their barks get more excited, knowing they are on a hot trial and getting closer, watching and hoping they run the deer by your stand. yes, very exciting, but I have not done it in more than 20 years.
"The wild turkey possesses the remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

REBELYELL

Quote from: catdaddy on February 24, 2012, 06:37:20 AM
I didn't kill a deer still hunting until I was in my early 20's. I love to deer hunt with dogs but have not done it in 20 years or so. I have hunted with everything from Walkers to Beagles to cur dogs and everthing in between. I was always the "dog man" that managed the pack.  I have good/sweet memories of being at an "Old Style" deer camp in the MS River swamps where they would turned lose 20-30 hounds a day.

Yo lil brother loved it too, boy we had some good times chasing them deer with hounds. He always had a good back of dogs.

mnbeardbuster

Basin_hunter

Made a couple hunts with dogs when I was a kid. I did kill one deer on a dog driven hunt. It was fun hunt ! I had deer run on me all during the morning. But the last 12 years or so it has been 100 percent still hunt only. It is definitely dying off in La.
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

30_06

My introduction to running deer with dogs was a poor one so I don't hunt in areas where it is allowed.

bassmaster1228

im a dog hunter for life. i run some fast beagles, and mostly track hunt. had several bucks killed infront of my dogs this year.

T-town

I've got a buddy that has a pack of beagles and I'll go with him a few times each year to help him drive. He hunts at the historic Dollarhide property in Greene County, Alabama. Used to be some of the prettiest property in the South, but over the last 8 or so years hurricanes and tornadoes have decimated the timber. Tough for us grunts going through the thick stuff

acsoa12

No I've personally never cared much for it.

GobblinNC