turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First time HEVI-Shot buyer has questions

Started by longarm, February 21, 2011, 08:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longarm

Would like to try some Hevi-shot in my 870. Gun has a 30" barrel with  a Carlson Tru-choke extended turkey .665.

What would be your recommendation for Hevi-shot based on this set-up?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dan

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

longarm

Hookedspur,
Well this is one of the reasons I posted this thread. I am interested in trying the 7s. So I went to Hevi-shot's website and couldn't find any info on them. I see 2 loads are available in size 6 shot.. could find nothing on 7.

knightrider

hevi shot;s website is awefull google and oldgobbler are your best place to look for info,just do a little reading and searching on here and you will find the answers you long to find. and another vote for 7's

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well to be honest from what my experience with the .675 Carlson's choke in my 835 shooting Hevi-13 loads vs shooting the .676 Star Dot, let's just say the Carlson's choke didn't perform very well at all.  It shot lead loads very well, but not very impressive with the Hevi-13 loads.  I would only speculate that it's the tube internals that made the Carlson's lack.  But it wouldn't even come close to the Star Dot.  I just ain't a very big fan of Carlson's turkey chokes.  So to answer your question I would opt for a better choke to try shooting Hevi-13 loads. 

goblr77

ILIKEHEVI-13

ILIKEHEVI-13

ILIKEHEVI-13

And pay no attention to the lead only thing.  It will work perfectly fine shooting Hevi-13 loads. 

longarm

Thanks for info so far.
Not certain that choke (Ventilator)will thread in my barrel. I am using an older 870 that WAS a fixed FULL gun. Had barrel threaded and was told to use Tru-chokes as they are thin walled chokes. I am very new to the choke thing so I may not have this right. Are all chokes the same threads per inch, etc? Apologies for the newby questions..

ILIKEHEVI-13

Yea I forgot you said Tru-Chokes above.  No it won't fit.  Indian Creek makes some chokes at their factory that I think said Tru-Chokes. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Try that choke you have.  I would only waste 1 shot to see.  A good choke will show its potential on the first shot.  Don't burn loads to see if it will get better if the first one isn't any good.  That's just my advice.  

longarm