turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ground Blind Hide or doesnt matter

Started by NCDEADEYE, February 22, 2012, 08:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCDEADEYE

I know i have watched numerous video footage where hunters put there blinds in the middle of a field and have turkeys walk right by them. Hard for me to put mine out of the edge of woods. Anybody else have an opinion??

teke

Turkey don't seem to mind the blind. Deer don't like it, Turkey just walk right by.

Cleburne

I use a blind in the afternoons for I am going to be in one spot for a long period of time. This will help to hide me moving my legs around.

remmy1187

Doesnt seem to bother turkeys.   I still like to break it up a bit with some limbs or weeds.   

TNTOM

Same question was discussed on an episode of Turkey Thugs and they said put it in the middle of the field.  I would agree based on the little bit that I've hunted from one. 

kamski1151

If they dont see you move that blind wont bother them turkeys..

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

pullit

I have killed more than a few out of a blind.
They are great for afternoon hunts where I hunt

bbcoach

A friend of mine and his young son took their first gobblers out of a 2 man Ameristep blind, a week apart, setting on a dirt road in the open.  Birds walked right by the blind both times.  Turkeys don't pay a bit of attention to blinds!  Turkeys are looking for movement and human presence.  If you limit your movement and aren't silhouetted inside the blind they'll pay no attention to you.  GREAT Tool for introducing young people to this Sport, gets them up close and personnel to OLE Three Toes.

sugarray

Blinds are great.  They allow some movement for comfort.  In my short experience it seems to me that deer remember what an area is supposed to look like, so if there is something new, they don't like it.  A turkey checks out an area as it comes into it, if it then changes, i.e. movement, that is when the turkeys get nervous.

buck_hunter21

Spill Blood

stinkpickle

From what I've seen, turkeys don't mind blinds being set up out in the open...HOWEVER, when I set one up, I like to back it up to some cover, like a ditch or fence row or something.  That way, if the birds aren't coming in, I can sneak out the back to relocate and not be seen.

dirt road ninja

Put it where ever you want. They won't care.

lightsoutcalls

I have hunted in KS in the middle of a cut corn field from a blind.  Birds have died as a result. 
Funny though, we got into a field one morning before daylight, not noticing a big gobbler roosted in a dead tree about 80 yards away.  He must have seen us coming into the field and setting up.  He gobbled his head off for over an hour around daylight. You could tell he wanted to check out the decoy setup, but seemed to know something wasn't right.  We had setup next to about a dozen round haybales in the field, but he wasn't having any of it.  When he finally flew down, he hit the ground and headed the other way like his tail was on fire.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

BigJim

I have never used a blind but I plan on trying one

Mossygoose

I like to put them in some cover or edge of a woods to make it easier to sneek in and out of.