turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Environmetal HEVI-METAL Turkey

Started by 870BkWht, February 22, 2012, 05:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Just read about this in the new Turkey and Turkey Hunting, and also looked it up on EM's website.  I was curious if anyone had tried these yet and wanted to hear some opinions.  I think 1 and 1/4 oz seems a little light for a 12 guage turkey load, but Im sure it will kill a bird.  Chime in, Id love to read some reviews or viewpoints.

Borden811

It's light because half or more of the payload is steel pellets, the other half hevi shot. I can't see it being very big of a hit. I would expect it to fade into obscurity soon. I also think that it's a way for them to try and get around the price increase in the HTL offerings. Half steel and half HTL will be about half as expensive as 100% HTL.

jtg88

I would go back to shooting 100% lead loads before I would consider shooting a shell that is half steel shot at a turkey.

R AJ

Quote from: jtg88 on February 22, 2012, 06:34:50 PM
I would go back to shooting 100% lead loads before I would consider shooting a shell that is half steel shot at a turkey.

X2

mcgruff1533

The nail has been hit squarely on the head!   I see no reason for this shell to even exist.

goblr77

Me too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

remmy1187

Philippe

That stuff is straight up junk! I shot hevi metal during duck season and after shooting almost an entire box and only cleanly killing 3 ducks and crippling several others i tossed it all and went back to the cheap ole Federal blue box number 2's and went right back to smackin ducks cleanly. So in other words, i'd never touch their turkey loads with a 10 foot pole.

870BkWht

Thanks for the insight and your honest opinions.  I didnt have it in my mind to go run out and buy some, but I just wanted to know some thoughts.  I persoanally do not like the idea of any kind of steel shot be it turkey or grouse, or rabbit or waterfowl.

westtennhunter

As a duck hunter I've shot alot of steel shot. It is absolutely pitiful. Why anyone would shoot it at a turkey is beyond me.

mossy835

One of my hunting partners used the duplex load from HM last year on Canadians and ducks all 3 inch from a Mossy 835 no cripples and he shot his limit each time out. At the pattern board they were not bad and on the clays for a warm up he shot better than with lead, just saying. I would give it a try at the club long before I hunted with it but in this state lead is going away fast now so alternatives are going to happen or we can stop hunting (I will not). Is this the best load for the money not sure yet but I will test a couple of boxes and see before I make any decision?

MOStrutter

I do like the #2 Hevi-Metal on geese but on ducks it doesn't seem to do all that well.  I went back to the cheap Winchester XPerts #3s and drilled ducks no problem.  It would be nice to pay $25 for 25 shells to go turkey hunting but who honestly needs that many shells to get through the season?  Spend the extra cash and get shells that are proven to work.

MOStrutter

I do think that these could be a good option if you hunted some WMA's that did not allow lead ammunition.  A lot of folks refuse to pay that much for a box of shotgun shells, so this could be a cheaper alternative and still be effective.

mossy835

Quote from: MOStrutter on February 23, 2012, 11:10:43 AM
I do think that these could be a good option if you hunted some WMA's that did not allow lead ammunition.  A lot of folks refuse to pay that much for a box of shotgun shells, so this could be a cheaper alternative and still be effective.

Or at least to pattern and shoot for sight in for those with a budget.

joshb311

Quote from: westtennhunter on February 22, 2012, 11:15:21 PM
As a duck hunter I've shot alot of steel shot. It is absolutely pitiful. Why anyone would shoot it at a turkey is beyond me.

Before my old man passed away he would take lead shot duck hunting when we were all shooting steel. Yes, it was illegal but he was old and quite frankly didn't care. I loved hearing my buddies say "I got that one!" or "That one was all me!" and then afterwards hear my old man say "You got that one, huh?" when the majority of the birds were full of lead pellets. The steel just passed on through or ended up crippling when the lead was smackin' em down. lol