OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mossy 535: Choke/Ammo Combo? (...to stand on the shoulders of giants!)

Started by protocoldoug, February 21, 2011, 07:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's a very nice gun you have.  All the chokes that were mentioned above wil work.  Some will work better than others.  The only way for sure you will know is to buy them or find a great friend that will let you shoot some of them mentioned and save you some money before you buy.  But it's going to be very tough to beat a Indian Creek or Pure Gold.  Those are probably 2 of the best.  Sure they cost more, but more times than not they will yield the best results.  

The Hevi-13 #7's would be my choice for ammo.  They will give you extra density over the 6's and the blends.  I have had great results with them in both my guns.  They will knock a gobbler silly at 50yds very easily regardless of who tries to tell you different.  Give them a try and don't look back.  

Make sure you pattern at 40yds, and shoot some big pieces of cardboard or paper so you can tell what you whole pattern is doing.  Then draw you a 10" circle after you shoot around the densest part of the pattern so that way you have an odjective way to measure your numbers vs other chokes to see what gives you the best performance.  You want to adjust your point of impact to be deadcenter over your point of aim.  Remember these loads shoot very tight baseball patterns at 15yds so make sure you aim true in close on a gobbler.

Good luck.

chatterbox

Quote from: protocoldoug on February 21, 2011, 08:39:52 PM
Alllright! This is an awesome spot for me to get going... Most excellent! Seems the Hevi-13 is an all around favorite, I'll make sure to pick up a few boxes. And get thinking about the choke suggestions.

...And look at this, seems we're representing Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine in this post!  :icon_thumright: Hopefully I'll hunt VT & NH (I live in VT, but most of my family is in NH) this season.

And a couple shots of my gun for the fun of it...

That's a fine looking slayer! I would try a JH .660 with some hevi-13 3-2-6, and see how that works. I think you will be pleased.

protocoldoug

Sounds good, I think the Jellyhead will be the first choke that I give a whirl! Also, Chatterbox, thanks for recommending the 3" Hevi's -- while I'm excited to make this gun go "boom!" -- I have a feeling the 3 1/2's are going to kick my butt!

...Might try the #6 and #7 hevis, and another question...

Anyone ever try the Federal Premium shot that has the "flite control wad"? Supposedly the wad stays with the shot longer? ...Thinking I might give it a whirl with my factory choke -- and if I don't like it, ehn -- I'll use it to finish the zero on my red dot (cause it's pretty inexpensive, especially next to hevi-13s)

Guys, I can't say thank you enough -- this information is savin' me time and $$$... Beer (or milkshakes if that's how you roll) is on me! We've got some nice gastropubs up here, come on up :D (...and a lotta dairy too, if you roll milkshake style ;) )

chatterbox

Quote from: protocoldoug on February 25, 2011, 07:37:08 AM
Sounds good, I think the Jellyhead will be the first choke that I give a whirl! Also, Chatterbox, thanks for recommending the 3" Hevi's -- while I'm excited to make this gun go "boom!" -- I have a feeling the 3 1/2's are going to kick my butt!

...Might try the #6 and #7 hevis, and another question...

Anyone ever try the Federal Premium shot that has the "flite control wad"? Supposedly the wad stays with the shot longer? ...Thinking I might give it a whirl with my factory choke -- and if I don't like it, ehn -- I'll use it to finish the zero on my red dot (cause it's pretty inexpensive, especially next to hevi-13s)

Guys, I can't say thank you enough -- this information is savin' me time and $$$... Beer (or milkshakes if that's how you roll) is on me! We've got some nice gastropubs up here, come on up :D (...and a lotta dairy too, if you roll milkshake style ;) )
Sounds good! BTW, I love your state! My family and I have vacationed alot on Crystal lake in Barton.
Another thing. 3'' patterned better out of my gun than 3.5's.

protocoldoug

Awesome -- good to hear it on the 3"-ers. I'm hoping to let you guys know when I finally get out to shoot this guy (which will probably be in the all-too-cold, and I'll have to do it again in the fair weather, but, such is life!)

Chatterbox -- really nice country there, man really the center of the "kingdom" out in Barton. ...And I love New Hampshire myself, I grew up in Hopkinton, and my parents now live in the Sunapee area. *thumbs up*