OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mossy 535: Choke/Ammo Combo? (...to stand on the shoulders of giants!)

Started by protocoldoug, February 21, 2011, 07:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

protocoldoug

Guys! ...I've outfitted myself with a Mossy 535 turkey gun, and a Mueller Quick Shot Red Dot... Which I've generally zero'd with a laser bore sight.

...However, I have yet to get the first shot out! Needless to say I am antsy to do so :) (living in a city makes it a little more difficult, but, hopefully this weekend I get to fire off a couple at my dad's barn)

That being said... I would like to stand on the shoulders of giants -- you guys! Anyone have some recommendations for some ammo / choke combos on this gun? I'd doubly appreciate any photos you have of some pattering you've done.

(This forum is getting me unbelievably excited about spring gobblers, for my first season... Thank you guys!)

__

"If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Albert Einstein

new2turkey

Nice setup...

Not gonna be of much help, but this is my first season as welll....  :icon_thumright:  :anim_25:

VAHUNTER

there have been proven combos posted with the 535. most of all have used Hevi13 21/4oz 3.5" or 2oz 3" loads of #6's or #7's
a Pure Gold in a .665 or .670 would be a great choice for the 535
also Jelly Head in the .660 or .665
last but in  no way least would be a Indian Creek .665

any of the 3 chokes with H13 will produce fantastic results
Good things come to those who wait

chipper

Jelly head , pure gold, indian creek and most importantly Hevi-13 #6 or #7.............

chatterbox

Here's my 535 outfitted with a JH .660 choke and the shot of choice is hevi-13 3-2-6.
The barrel has been polished by my very good friend, VAHUNTER.

I get right around 189 in a 10"circle at 40 yards.

protocoldoug

Alllright! This is an awesome spot for me to get going... Most excellent! Seems the Hevi-13 is an all around favorite, I'll make sure to pick up a few boxes. And get thinking about the choke suggestions.

...And look at this, seems we're representing Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine in this post!  :icon_thumright: Hopefully I'll hunt VT & NH (I live in VT, but most of my family is in NH) this season.

And a couple shots of my gun for the fun of it...

hookedspur

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 21, 2011, 08:08:37 PM
there have been proven combos posted with the 535. most of all have used Hevi13 21/4oz 3.5" or 2oz 3" loads of #6's or #7's
a Pure Gold in a .665 or .670 would be a great choice for the 535
also Jelly Head in the .660 or .665
last but in  no way least would be a Indian Creek .665

any of the 3 chokes with H13 will produce fantastic results
Very good advice.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BigPeck215

you cant go wrong with a jellyhead, truglo ssx, pure gold, or a indian creek and hevi 13 6's or 7's or mag blends

all that being said i'd go with hevi 13 7's and either a jellyhead or a ssx both are reasonably priced and will produce great patterns out to 40yds, my first choice would be an SSX.  Clark "allaboutshooting" has tested this choke extensively and can give you some more info its also the cheapest choke price wise out of the bunch

knightrider

dont overlook the tightwad choke i was blowed away by this choke in my 835

hawk

Jourdan_D

njdevilsb

I have a 535 as well.  I have been shooting lead out of it until this year.  I have a brand new Indian Creek .660 and Hevi 13 #7's just waiting for nice weather.

chatterbox

Quote from: BigPeck215 on February 21, 2011, 09:03:01 PM
you cant go wrong with a jellyhead, truglo ssx, pure gold, or a indian creek and hevi 13 6's or 7's or mag blends

all that being said i'd go with hevi 13 7's and either a jellyhead or a ssx both are reasonably priced and will produce great patterns out to 40yds, my first choice would be an SSX.  Clark "allaboutshooting" has tested this choke extensively and can give you some more info its also the cheapest choke price wise out of the bunch
The SSX didn't pattern worth crap out of my gun. I ended up selling it, and went with a .660 JH.

joshua

Quote from: chipper on February 21, 2011, 08:14:02 PM
Jelly head , pure gold, indian creek and most importantly Hevi-13 #6 or #7.............
X2  :anim_25: this spring.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

protocoldoug

Right on guys -- thank you so much for the considerations (and the good luck wishes!) Much appreciated! Thanks too for the heads up on allaboutshooing -- I've seen Clark around the forum while lurking about, and, his site is a cool resource, too. Choices are awesome, candy-shop-esque! :D

On the difference between 535 and 835... Yes, the 835 is cooler :) Trust me, I really considered it for the over-bore factor, heard that the patterns are pretty awesome out of it. Buuuut... It was ~$200 more expensive (at least where I bought mine), and the 535 is a lighter gun. So, between those two is what pushed me.