OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most pressured public land

Started by Basin_hunter, February 22, 2012, 09:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

I've hunted the homochitto national forrest several times and it doesnt hold a candle to some of the pressure that some of the south alabama wma's get.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: TURKEYWHACKER on February 25, 2012, 11:13:55 AM
our beloved Osceola has the smallest population and everybody who wants a slam has to show up on my doorstep so to speak. It's a wonder our little group of huntin' buddies do so well on the mostly non quota hunts we go on each spring.

I have only hunted on public ground twice in Florida, but on our trips in several areas where we have found birds, the birds have been DENSE. A lot denser than they are here in MS on the public land and in several other states I have hunted. Take into consideration that you can't hear them as far in Florida either, and it is kind of crazy to me. Simply amazes me how many birds that thick jungle-like terrain can hold.  It may not be like this on a lot of the public land there, but it definitely has been on the two WMAs we have hunted. I wish our birds were that dense here. Not saying all the ground there is dense with birds, as  it is definitely not. We have had to do a ton of scouting to find them. But once you find them,  :o .  If the place you hunt is like that, I can easily see how your group does good.

ddturkeyhunter

Florida, all the way it is totally impossible to get back in far enough away from anyone. You can walk in the dark for two hours to get back in somewhere only to have a person with a disable permit drive up to you on and atv at first light. I can't say to much about them though I just hope I never have to get one of them permits. But I can say something about the_____hole that shot my decoy. I got my Osceola the second year down and I didn't think I would ever want to put up with that Zoo again. But I meet such a great bunch of guy down there that I know when I retire I will be fighting with that crowd each year and keep bitching about it, DON'T YOU JUST LOVE TURKEY HUNTING.

Old Gobbler

The total number of turkeys killed on Florida WMA's is about 700 gobblers-- That's the whole state for public hunting - there is some private...... good luck finding some  ;)  and the leases in central to southern Florida run no BS here guys , about $6500- $8000 per hunter and they all have the same rules , 2 gobblers max per lease holder  and you have to share with the other guys on that lease

On the other hand we get about 900 new residents to the state of Florida each DAY  - we are looking at reaching a population of 40 million people in Florida in 2-3 more decades

Some people will talk about it is hard to hunt the birds where they live in some other southern states , the big difference is that in 15 years time the other places will still have a place to hunt , we wont 

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Jay

Our Public in Iowa isn't pressured, because we basically don't have any ;D What we do have is well used by everyone from Horseback riders to Mushroom hunters.

ElkTurkMan

Georgia can be pretty bad, but thankfully A lot of part timers give it up after the first few weeks.  The birds however are pretty educated when they do give up., which amkes it that much more difficult.   I have heard Florida is pretty bad as well,  I ahve heard some absolute horror stories, but I have no first hand expierience on public ground down there. 

bird

Quote from: Jay on February 26, 2012, 05:18:48 AM
Our Public in Iowa isn't pressured, because we basically don't have any ;D What we do have is well used by everyone from Horseback riders to Mushroom hunters.

Very true.... Iowa ranks 49th in the nation for available Public Hunting Ground and damn can those mushroom hunters be a real pain to deal with. Many times I have seen them walk right up to your decoys or have them so close to you that you could almost reach out and touch them as they go walking by and they have no idea you are even sitting there. Some day a mushroom hunter is going to get shot by a hunter.

YELPA

From personal experience, Alabama or Land Between the Lakes (KY/TN).  However, I have also heard few hold a candle to Mississippi in this category.

Brent

I've never hunted it but I would have to think Florida would be the worst.  Never been on a hunting trip before when everybody lines up at the gate before daylight and then some of them get to go in and some don't.  Honestly don't think I'd be interested in going on a trip like that.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Brent on February 26, 2012, 09:35:11 PM
I've never hunted it but I would have to think Florida would be the worst.  Never been on a hunting trip before when everybody lines up at the gate before daylight and then some of them get to go in and some don't.  Honestly don't think I'd be interested in going on a trip like that.
It has been like that since 1985!  no kidding a line 1/2 mile long with trucks parked in it - people would park their truck and leave it in line then walk back to camp to go to sleep

but again , it wont be long ,the bulldozer and politicians will kill off all the turkey hunting in Florida soon enough --
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Brent

OG for those who do get in what's the hunting actually like?   When a turkey gobbles does everybody just go nuts and take off running at it or can you actually set up and work a bird?   I've always complained about hunting Skyline WMA in Alabama but I guess I'm pretty lucky.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Brent on February 26, 2012, 10:16:37 PM
OG for those who do get in what's the hunting actually like?   When a turkey gobbles does everybody just go nuts and take off running at it or can you actually set up and work a bird?   I've always complained about hunting Skyline WMA in Alabama but I guess I'm pretty lucky.
If a bird gobbles to much while coming into you I can guarantee in the area I was hunting someone will try and slip in-between you and the bird if there is enough room. It happened to me twice neither of us got the birds though, because of to much calling by the next guy trying to steal the bird. Most of the time they are not all that vocal, but it could have been what stage they were in or time of year.

TURKEYWHACKER

Quote from: Brent on February 26, 2012, 10:16:37 PM
I love to hear a bird screamin' from the roost as much as the next guy, but on our WMA's that just a recipe for disaster. I try to stay low key and don't mind waitin' on a quiet bird. Haven't noticed a difference in taste from a gobblin' to non gobblin' bird yet.

Cutt

Many pressured areas from all the reads? But I'll still stick with my theory and expierences as PA gets the vote.

If you have never had hunters sneak into your set and shoot at whatever or a bird nearly missing you, a few times in your hunting career, your're not hunting pressuerd areas.

Heck, a few years ago in this area, a hunter snuck in on a guy calling and shot him in the back of the head. Never been shot, but 3 near misses due to "STALKERS" that don't call. That's why we have a law here, no stalking, must call birds, but guys still stalk, which makes it down right dangerous here.

joey46

Read all the post.  Only saw OH mentioned once.  That is because it always has a Monday opener.  A week day opener will spread the pressure but the nit wits that set the rules seem to worry way too much about the tradition of a Saturday opener.  A Saturday opener is a guarantee circus on public land.  You listening KY?