OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most pressured public land

Started by Basin_hunter, February 22, 2012, 09:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigGobbler

Florida-on a  couple places you need to park your car in line 2 days before the hunt, just to get in the gate to get in line at the next gate for the next days hunt,and only 200 get in the gate. I have seen it where they were still lined up at the gate at 10;00am the day of the hunt waiting for someone to come out and leave so they could get in and hunt.

30_06

Michigan, NC, and Colorado were all pretty pressured public land areas. Most of those areas though if you got a ways off the road or the beaten trail you could get away from people.

My first opening morning of rifle season in NC all I saw were trucks parked all over and orange in trees every 40 yards. It was horrible.

dodger

Quote from: REBELYELL on February 22, 2012, 05:39:48 PM
Homochitto National Forest in southwest Mississippi

thats the most pressured public land anywhere in the world

deadhead

Mississippi,seems now everybody went to walmart the night before got a call and in the woods,nonstop walking an calling. When I started if you told someone you were going turkey hunting they asked why? Man I sure miss those days.

just remember they are big chickens.

T-town

I'm surprised there aren't more "Bama" responses here. But I guess that's to be expected since there ain't any birds down here. Plenty of hunters though, waiting for some birds to drift over from MS or GA... We may not have it quite as bad as some of ya'll but you can't go anywhere without somebody walking in and messing you up. Oakmulgee WMA is the worst I've experienced.

El Pavo Grande

From where I've hunted it's about all the same on any public land in the south....Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas.  Getting worse every year too.

Dan Mallia

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 22, 2012, 08:06:47 PM
CA At lest the hunters in MS and AL know how to hunt. How would you like 1000's of guys stomping around the few pieces of public ground that have no clue how to turkey hunt except what they see on TV.

TRKYHTR

Yup. Lots of guys turkey hunting like they chase pheasants, minus the dogs.  :drool:

socalturkeyman

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 22, 2012, 08:06:47 PM
CA At lest the hunters in MS and AL know how to hunt. How would you like 1000's of guys stomping around the few pieces of public ground that have no clue how to turkey hunt except what they see on TV.

TRKYHTR
YA STALKING YOUR DECOYS FROM ALL DIRECTIONS! lol Bow hunters,junior hunters,and shotgun hunters all coming after the same fake turkey! lol I laugh but I shouldnt cause it sure can get dangerous really fast. A bunch of city boys and gals who got the hunting channel on cable think they know how....oh man Im glad I got my lil honey hole that everyone thinks its crappy since it doesnt have open feilds they can hunt like the primos guys. haha
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Eric Gregg

Another vote for MS.
Went to Malmaison once and haven't gone back.
I stayed in the woods a total of 30 minutes. I didn't feel safe at all.
Got out of there and went to a private land I can hunt.

WMA turkeys in MS, you earn em :OGturkeyhead:

Cutt

It's hard to really gauge from State to State, if you never hunted there? With that I've only ever hunted PA and Ohio, both states right along each border, and I can say without a doubt along the State line of PA and Ohio gets hammered.

How I can gauge that, not just saying that because I hunt there, and believe it gets a lot of pressure as compared to other areas? Well in my short 15 years of turkey hunting I had 3 close calls, where hunters snuck in on me and shot at birds I was working and all 3 were near misses. Once bowhunting and twice gunning, so i know this area gets pressured big time and can be down right dangerous with all the idiots.

Nothing more depressing to work field birds all morning and at the moment of thruth when I was actually pulling back on the bow on a strutting Tom, 2 idiots snuck in 70 yards away and shot right over my head 3 times. Actually heard the BB"s whizz by, before the guns. So I'd say a very good gauge for extreme pressure is, how many times have others shot at your setup, all most shooting you?

TURKEYWHACKER

Having not hunted public land out of my state ( I have hunted private a few times) I can only speak for the Osceola Three Ring Circus. I have seen armies of flashlights on non quota openers, had folks set up 50 yards behind me then raise a big fuss when I got up to leave for messin' up "his" spot. I've shot birds only to have someone come sneakin' in 5 minutes later lookin' for the gobbler they heard even after I fired my gun. Add to the fact that the outdoor magazines seem to all mention the same WMA's as "best bets" and that our beloved Osceola has the smallest population and everybody who wants a slam has to show up on my doorstep so to speak. It's a wonder our little group of huntin' buddies do so well on the mostly non quota hunts we go on each spring. Steppin' down from my soap box now, carry on.

BigGobbler

Quote from: TURKEYWHACKER on February 25, 2012, 11:13:55 AM
Having not hunted public land out of my state ( I have hunted private a few times) I can only speak for the Osceola Three Ring Circus. I have seen armies of flashlights on non quota openers, had folks set up 50 yards behind me then raise a big fuss when I got up to leave for messin' up "his" spot. I've shot birds only to have someone come sneakin' in 5 minutes later lookin' for the gobbler they heard even after I fired my gun. Add to the fact that the outdoor magazines seem to all mention the same WMA's as "best bets" and that our beloved Osceola has the smallest population and everybody who wants a slam has to show up on my doorstep so to speak. It's a wonder our little group of huntin' buddies do so well on the mostly non quota hunts we go on each spring. Steppin' down from my soap box now, carry on.

I agree 100%

El Pavo Grande

Like the "best bets" listed a couple of posts above, I cringe when I see that about public land I hunt.  You can instantly add a crowd quick, but that's public ground and part of the deal.  One well known writer has been good about mentioning specific landmarks, etc. to hunt, probably of which he either never hunts or once every 10 years.

runngun

Homochitto National Forrest in Mississippi if you don't get shot when youget back to the truck you will be lucky if your truck tires ain't been cut or windows knocked out. Did not happen to me but someone I know. If it would have been me I would be in Parchmen (State Prison).
Have heard horror strories about Florida Public land as well.
Don't tell me that crap about going deep from the roads. You can only go half way, if you go any further you are only walking out!!!!   :funnyturkey:
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.