turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dog bite

Started by TRKYHTR, February 22, 2012, 01:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Got a call from my son Joey the other day. He was working at a house and went into their back yard and the owners forgot to put their dog up. The dog cornered him and he tried to jump the fence to get away. The dog grabbed his leg and pulled him back inside the yard. He kicked the dog in the head and then jumped the fence. Needless to say he has huge puncture wounds in his calf from the bite. I saw it tonight for the first time and it looks bad. Is it wrong for me to want to go teach the dog a lesson. He said he hadn't put on his tool pouches yet so he didn't have his hammer available. The bad part was the owners didn't even ask him how he was she just said " Nobody messes with my dog" That comment got my wife foaming at the mouth and ready to hurt somebody. The question is should he take action against the dog owner or the owner of the property?

TRKYHTR

PS-I still want to teach that dog a lesson. Catdasddy I might need your help.

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Ol'Mossy

Put a lawsuit on them I would

rtsj

YES!!! I was attacked when I was a kid. The dog bit me 3times. I had bout 20 stitches in my hands side and backside(very hard to sit for awhile). Came to find out I was the 4th person this dog bit. If u don't take care of it it will bite again and it could be a small child. Just last week here in PA a little kid was attacked and killed by a husky. Remember once a mean dog always a mean dog.  If ur wandering no I don't dislike dogs I have 3.

Roy

ctwny1

mdtkyhntr

I definitely would, the arrogance of the owner would have sealed it for me.

flintlock

Sorry to hear about Joey!!!
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Flydown

I hope Joey heals up quick. Too bad he didnt have his hammer!

Gamblinman

Sorry to hear this Joe.

I would defenitely be discussing options with the owner(s) of the dog. If satisfaction couldn't be reached, I would let legal matters ensue. Please be careful..and use caution in how you proceed.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

FullChoke

First thing, sorry for Joey. I was attacked and mauled by a German Shepard as a kid so I know what he is going through. I know that he will heal quickly.

Second, don't take your anger over this situation out on the dog. He did what his owners wanted him to do and that was to defend his owners from what he perceived as a threat in his own yard.

Third, Call your lawyer, tell him about it, and ask him to advise you as to what you will need to do. Remain calm and with your emotions in full control.

Fourth, If no satisfaction is forthcoming from the dog/house owners, lawyer up and pursue.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: FullChoke on February 22, 2012, 07:42:48 AMI was attacked and mauled by a German Shepard as a kid so I know what he is going through. I know that he will heal quickly.

Same here, I have a big scar on my leg

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I'd make sure that dog was put down.

I love our lab and our friends' dogs but that is unacceptable.

sugarray

First, make sure he is watching it closely for infection.  Redness, swelling, pain, or any drainage.  The last time there was a rabies transmission from a dog to a human was in the 70s, so he doesn't have to worry about that.  He needs to make sure his tetanus is current, so he had a booster in the past 5 years.

Now, I believe that the dog should be put down.  He was in their home at their request and they should have put the dog up, not just leave it loose in the back yard.  If she is not willing to accept responsibility and pay for his medical care, then he should pursue legal means.

Cooler heads do prevail, but you have to still act now, as time goes by, there is less that will be done.

bawana

Quote from: JohnDoe on February 22, 2012, 08:00:44 AM
He  needs to report it to the authorities. The dog needs to be quarantined and investigated. He needs medical attention also. The dog owners should pay for the medical attention and other expenses incurred. Dog bites are very serious.

John
X2 For all we know this may not be the first time for this. While rabies isn't very likely, you have to consider that as well as just infection from a puncture wound....and don't forget a tetanus shot.

nstrut

i have to agree with fullchoke

drenalinld

I'm sorry to hear that. I have been involved with similar situations and it is easy to lose your cool. I know you and Joey will handle it like gentlemen. If they do not accept responsibility for expenses at a minimum, a lawyer may be warranted.