OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dog bite

Started by TRKYHTR, February 22, 2012, 01:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sippy cup

I may have missed it what kind of dog was it
beware of longdale legend

huntdrut

id make sure that dog dies in some way, shape or form.  just how i feel about it.  i love dogs, but not dogs like that.   :fud: :fud:
Remington 1187 - Jellyhead - Nikon Turkeypro

TRKYHTR

Just a little update and clarification on this subject. The dog was a mastiff mix and was ~ 130#. Joey was sent to the emergency room because he couldn't walk. The doctors filed a report about the dog bite. Joey asked me yesterday what he should do. I told him I couldn't give him good advice because I was too close to the situation and wanted to just put a bullet in the dogs ear. I told him to contact our Pastor and ask him about what he should do. Our Pastor told him to file a report and seek an Attorney. BTW the wounds, front and back, are bigger around than my thumb and about 1-1 1/2"" deep. Where the canines got him. I still want to give him a hearing aide filled with lead.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

catdaddy

I'd kill that dog and do the world a favor.

pdqt

Sorry to hear about Joey. Hope it works out okay.

BOFF

Sorry to read Joe.

As written earlier, the dog was only doing what he was supposed to do. The owners are the ones needing to be dealt with for this matter. They are responsible for all cost, particularly if they hired your son to do work there.

Document document, and take pictures.

God Bless,
David B.

K9Doc

Quote from: BOFF on February 22, 2012, 09:47:46 PM
Sorry to read Joe.

As written earlier, the dog was only doing what he was supposed to do. The owners are the ones needing to be dealt with for this matter. They are responsible for all cost, particularly if they hired your son to do work there.

Document document, and take pictures.

God Bless,
David B.

Agreed.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

jayslim

Quote from: FullChoke on February 22, 2012, 07:42:48 AM
First thing, sorry for Joey. I was attacked and mauled by a German Shepard as a kid so I know what he is going through. I know that he will heal quickly.

Second, don't take your anger over this situation out on the dog. He did what his owners wanted him to do and that was to defend his owners from what he perceived as a threat in his own yard.

Third, Call your lawyer, tell him about it, and ask him to advise you as to what you will need to do. Remain calm and with your emotions in full control.

Fourth, If no satisfaction is forthcoming from the dog/house owners, lawyer up and pursue.

:icon_thumright:

RutnNStrutn

First thing, sorry for Joey.
Second, don't take your anger over this situation out on the dog.
Third, Call your lawyer, tell him about it, and ask him to advise you as to what you will need to do. Remain calm and with your emotions in full control.

Fourth, If no satisfaction is forthcoming from the dog/house owners, lawyer up and pursue.
Excellent advice there. :icon_thumright: :agreed:

Gobble!

I have a mastiff. Hes almost 2 and around 150. They are not the kind of dog that should be raised to do this. Extremely powerful.

FttFttVroom!

Yep, time to lawyer up and teach the owner a lesson.  The poor dog has more sense than the owners.

Nick_The_Tinkerer

First thing, sorry for Joey. I was attacked and mauled by a German Shepard as a kid so I know what he is going through. I know that he will heal quickly.

Second, don't take your anger over this situation out on the dog. He did what his owners wanted him to do and that was to defend his owners from what he perceived as a threat in his own yard.

100% agree  :icon_thumright:

archery1

Take a kid hunting

Neill_Prater

First of all, Joe, I'm sorry this happened. Secondly, remember it could have been worse, much worse, with a dog that size. I've only been around one Mastiff in my life, huge dog, and as gentle as a lamb. Many dogs are terrritorial, and I've no doubt the dog perceived your nephew as being a threat. That said, the owners should take responsitibility.

Now, a couple of things that haven't been previously addressed, from the posts I read. First of all, was your nephew working independently, or for a contractor? If he was employed, it is likely workman's compensation would cover his medical expenses and time lost from work.

Also, no one has mentioned homeowner's insurance. All homeowner's insurance policies include liability, normally a pretty high limit, because it isn't common for someone to actually be injured at someone's house. I'm guessing, but don't know for sure, that, if workman's comp was filed, they would go after the property owner's insurance for reimbursement. Workman's comp is nothing but another insurance company, and any insurance company is going to try to find anyone other than themselves to pay the bill.

I'm also guessing, that, in the event workman's comp is filed, that might limit the amount he could possibly get in any other settlement. My advice would be to contact an attorney for advice. I, personally, am not a lawsuit happy person, and if something similar happened to me when I'm conducting my mowing business, as long as all my expenses were covered, and I healed up OK, I'd be happy. I don't agree with the mentality common these days that everyone thinks they should "punish" people through the use of lawsuits. However, my attitude would be a direct reflection of the property owner's attitude. If they were concerned, and followed through by seeing that everything was covered by their insurance, and obviously were sorry the incident took place, great. If not, well.........

Also, being in the medical field yourself, I know you are very much aware that he shouldn't be in too big a hurry to simply shrug this off. Hopefully, he'll mend quickly, with no further complications, but, there is no guarantee of that. Neill

ghillie

Excellent info by Neill right there...

I was in a similar situation many years ago...my Vizsla was out in the back yard, on his lead when a woman came walking up the side walk.  My dog would bark at everybody..more as a greeting than anything as if you got close to him..he might lick you to death.  Well this woman was walking home from the grocerie store by my house ( can't figure that out as she lives nowhere near me)..and she then became scared when Brutus barked at her.  She swong her bag of goods at the dog and he pulled the stake out of the ground and ended up biting her on the calf.  I watched the entire thing from the window.  Now, not to speak bad about her but she is a little intellectually challenged, she had the thought process of a 10 year old.  Not sure what her actuall diagnosis is but she does have a diagnosis.  Anyway, she went to the local hospital, she was seen, cared for and given antibiotics.  Police showed up and wanted info on my dog.  I gave them what they needed and some time went by.  A week later I found out that she was not taking care of the wound and showed up in the ER at Iowa City with a very bad leg infection.  She was admitted for 11 days for IV antibiotics.  She then filed suit in the local court.  My homeowners insurance didn't even fight the suit, though I told them what exactly happened.  Didn't matter..she got an $80,000.00 check for pain and suffering, med bills etc.etc..  My insurance co then dropped me in about a month after that was all paid.  My dog was fine but I was concerned that he might have gotten what she had as he was never the same after that....he ended up with a sudden death about two years later from lymphoma

It didn't matter that she PROVOKED the dog or that the dog was on his OWN property...a dog bite is a dig bite...and I paid to the hilt for that one..